New Pc Build AMD+AMD

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro please understand I don't want to change power supply I'm on very low budget

If you make a new pc with a really old psu, good chance you blow stuff up and you can re-buy everything.

Low budget or not, psu and motherboard are the two most important things to invest in a pc.

If you really must, just wait till your budget grows.

By old psu you mean that my old psu won't handle the load or won't support the new mobo?

The thing with PSU's is, they lose power over time, get less reliable, and can cause serious problems in a new system if the age of the PSU is older than 4 years.

Since you get an AMD system (in terms of processor at least) it is quite power hungry and we are concerned that the PSU cannot handle the load, potentially damaging your new system.

Sometimes people get a new system, using their non-branded (read, generic) power supply, only to find out it explodes their system and they lost almost all components in the process, because they wanted to save a few bucks.

If we weren't concerned about the PSU, we wouldn't say it.

Also, is the PC you have in your signature your current PC?

If so, you can overclock the i3 (if possible of course), it will probably outperform the fx6100 you want to get.

Thanks man for tha replies much appreciated I actually use 2 psu (old) in my previous pc one for the graphics card and other for motherboard and cpu so I thought why not do the same for this what you say?

Thanks man for tha replies much appreciated I actually use 2 psu (old) in my previous pc one for the graphics card and other for motherboard and cpu so I thought why not do the same for this what you say?

Hmm, not sure of using two power supplies is a smart idea in general :P.

Admitted, i do not have any experience with using two power supplies for one system, but i wouldn't recommend it.

Reasons I wouldn't recommend it is, if one psu fails, it takes the other one with it.

Since both are old, they are less reliable, and since the new build you plan on making requires more power than what your currently run (if signature specs are up-to-date), i would really suggest getting a new, branded, power supply.

I would hate to see you make a new PC, only to break it after a few months.

I know you want to save as much money as possible, but the power supply is THE most important component to NOT save on.

The processor you currently have is still enough to play the latest games, some benchmarks show that an i3 is out performing the fx8350 in games, and that is quite a lot faster than the fx 6100 you chose. I'd say, save up a few more bucks if it doesn't have any haste, and invest n a good power supply first.

I've asked my uncle who is an electrical engineer about the two psu solution (he's the one who set up the first dual setup for my old pc) he said it's it's true that the capacitors in the power supply unit loose their efficiency over time but it can be regained by replacing the capacitors which is fairly simple and very cheap process.

I've asked my uncle who is an electrical engineer about the two psu solution (he's the one who set up the first dual setup for my old pc) he said it's it's true that the capacitors in the power supply unit loose their efficiency over time but it can be regained by replacing the capacitors which is fairly simple and very cheap process.

Yeah but if the surrounding components are still garbage... lol

Maybe get a good PSU that can single handedly run the WHOLE system, then worry about maintaining/improving the capacitance as you need to.

I'm in India upgrading psu means upgrading ups (uniteruppeted power supply)

The electricity supplied at our homes have many power cuts and fluctuations in voltage so if used directly on the power line the psu will short circuit or reset so in ug the psu I have to ug the ups which is very costly and when I say very costly it is a ups which can handle 650w will cost 130 usd which is almost double the price of psu you've recommended 6bedafcf2e5085ef5353d784be0fd576.jpg

I gotcha...but you can't just plug the new PSU in place of the two crappier ones on the same UPS? UPSs here are just like any plug, make sure their battery's in good shape (usually they'll let you know), and you can use them as casual as any outlet. The new PSU would probably be more efficient than the two in tandem, so if power did cut, it'd have lesser drain on the battery.