Need advice on sound option

XeroHertZ

Hi all,

So I've decided that i'll go with an Asus Rampage V Extreme mobo for my X99 build, will the onboard sound in it be enough for my 5.1 surround system? or should I get a dedicated sound card? and if so which one do you recommend? I currently have a soundblaster x-fi fatality champion card in my current X58 build connected to Logitech Z550 speakers.

I use a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD with upgraded LME49720NA Op-Amps, as well as an ASUS Xonar Essence STX with a LM6172IN and two LME49720NA Op-Amps. That's near audiophile territory, however.

The RVE's onboard sound will be enough for a 7.1 surround system. Sound quality, though, won't match higher-end dedicated sound cards. Sound is tricky. There are plenty of ways to get good sound, and each component makes a big difference. If you're using the Logitech Z550, the onboard sound should be good enough.

I use a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD with upgraded LME49720NA Op-Amps, as well as an ASUS Xonar Essence STX with a LM6172IN and two LME49720NA Op-Amps. That's near audiophile territory, however.

The RVE's onboard sound will be enough for a 7.1 surround system. Sound quality, though, won't match higher-end dedicated sound cards. Sound is tricky. There are plenty of ways to get good sound, and each component makes a big difference. If you're using the Logitech Z550, the onboard sound should be good enough.

Hmmmmm....

Would not bother with a soundboard. Onboard sound these days (regardless of the fact your board is top end) is good.

With your 5.1 system you would never notice the difference between the board and a soundboard unless one of them particularly coloured the sound. Even with most headphones you wouldn't see a difference.

Unless you have a high impedance pair of cans or some really sensitive IEMs you wouldn't need what a soundcard can offer. Which is better amping needed for high impedance headphones not 5.1 systems and a cleaner sound that can really show up with high sensitivity IEMs.

I personally cannot plug one of my IEMs (AF120) into my laptop without hearing the ocean but if I plug my Akg Q701s in they're alright noise is there but not that noticeable or irratating.

Plus if you do go soundcard my preference is on external so either usb or optical/coax out to the either independent or combined DAC and amp. I use a small usb DAC made by a guy in Malaysia with a company called Stoner Acoustics and it is fantastic. Works on both my laptop and phone and is the size of a small thumbdrive. Also aforementioned IEMs no noise at all through it :D

Edited by Stonerboy779

Would not bother with a soundboard. Onboard sound these days (regardless of the fact your board is top end) is good.

With your 5.1 system you would never notice the difference between the board and a soundboard unless one of them particularly coloured the sound. Even with most headphones you wouldn't see a difference.

Unless you have a high impedance pair of cans or some really sensitive IEMs you wouldn't need what a soundcard can offer. Which is better amping needed for high impedance headphones not 5.1 systems and a cleaner sound that can really show up with high sensitivity IEMs.

I personally cannot plug one of my IEMs (AF120) into my laptop without hearing the ocean but if I plug my Akg Q701s in they're alright noise is there but not that noticeable or irratating.

Plus if you do go soundcard my preference is on external so either usb or optical/coax out to the either independent or combined DAC and amp. I use a small usb DAC made by a guy in Malaysia with a company called Stoner Acoustics and it is fantastic. Works on both my laptop and phone and is the size of a small thumbdrive. Also aforementioned IEMs no noise at all through it :D

Thanks for the detailed info Stonerboy 779, I think i'm gonna try onboard sound this time, I'm sure it's gotten much better with these new boards.

If I had a SB X-Fi Fatality Champion card that was just going to be gathering dust, I'd be using that any day over any onboard solution that I can think of.  Throwing out the arguments about audio quality, that particular sound card still brings a lot to the table even if it is an oldie but a goodie.  I'm assuming that the OP still has the X-Fi I/O drive not to mention the various software tools you're going to get with the Creative Driver Pack versus the onboard solution.

It's not like the OP is going to go out and spend a bunch of money on a new sound card.  His current card was cream of the crop when it was released.

Well if the op has the card still and isn't going to keep it in his current system there is no reason he can't or shouldn't use it.

As Wev pointed out the soundcard brings other things other than purely sound quality and that is often in the form of the software and what becomes available to you to do with your audio.

You should be fine with onboard sound. From my experience you'll hear more of an audio difference from headphones/speakers themselves than the DAC (unless you have a really low quality audio playing).

Edited by AZNguyen