Back in the AMD camp, and I have a frustrating issue with window posit

Crow47

• 2 weeks later...

Any luck? :wave:

Yep, He returned it and went with a GTX 780 instead.

On a strange note I've discovered that if I turn off the monitors before the go to sleep everything works as expected when I come back and turn them on again.  

I'm running three monitors on AMD cards with no issue...

Lucky you. I just run a 30 inch monitor to eliminate the issue.

Any luck? :wave:

Yep, He returned it and went with a GTX 780 instead.

On a strange note I've discovered that if I turn off the monitors before the go to sleep everything works as expected when I come back and turn them on again.  

Interesting

Tested this using an R9 280X with three monitors and the newest drivers, no issues. The system sleeps and restarts without a problem. Also does a cold boot and restart with no issues.

Running CFX with three monitors I had the same issues it drove me nuts,.. changing drivers,.. playing with idle, power settings did not solve issue,.. running single card I had no issues,.. not Shure if it was a motherboard, chipset issue,.. :dunno:

After switching  to Nvidia SLI in same rig running same three monitors I have no issues,.. if I upgrade any cards down the road they will not be AMD. 

Tested this using an R9 280X with three monitors and the newest drivers, no issues. The system sleeps and restarts without a problem. Also does a cold boot and restart with no issues.

Good for those of you not having the issue but for reference, the issue at hand isn't actually directly related to any of these scenarios though as far as my testing of the problem so far. My Main rig never goes to sleep and any reboot isn't going to 100% preserve window locations due to apps being closed and relaunched (and that's not the issue).

The issue at hand is when power settings are set to turn off the monitor in XX Minutes (in my case with no sleep/hibernate afterwards) when the mouse is moved and the displays turn back on various applications windows get moved and resized.  

I would love to give you a screenshot example of the before and after, but I'm at the secondary rig at the moment and with the monitors off on the other system there's no way for me to make it work from ~30mins away and show in a remote view.  

As another side note I've personally stepped back a few times and wondered if spending the extra on the 780/780Ti over the 290/290X wouldn't have been the better long term option looking back at the 6950 I had and the abysmal state the drivers were in through out various points of me using it.  This is the sort of thing some of us are talking about when we "overlook" a small price premium for going with the green team. I look at it as a "How much is it worth for me NOT to have as many issues, have access to features like Shadowplay, game streaming via shield (about $0 on that last one for me)?" That number varies for everyone.

The issue was never sleeping and restarting. The issue was letting the system idle long enough to where windows told the GPU to turn off the screens. It was at that point I'd hear the Windows sound for a device disconnecting, and when I came back, all my icons and windows were rearranged and resized. 

I could be wrong, but I believe the issue has to do with the way AMD implements power saving with these newer GPU's. The GPU appears to "disconnect" from the system and reconnect when brought back from idle, thus causing the window resizing. As far as Windows was concerned, the GPU was being removed and put back in. 

It's true, I picked up a 780 ACX and am extremely happy with it. Scores about 1k less in FireStrike but who cares?? It works so much better and the image quality is leaps and bounds beyond AMD in the games I play. If I hadn't run 3DMark I'd have had no idea the 290 was slightly more powerful in synthetics. 

I try not to play fanboy with brands, because I had a really good experience with my 6950's in xfire. But the fact of the matter is that as of now nVidia is a better fit for me based on the games I play.

Edited by Crow47

The issue was never sleeping and restarting. The issue was letting the system idle long enough to where windows told the GPU to turn off the screens. It was at that point I'd hear the Windows sound for a device disconnecting, and when I came back, all my icons and windows were rearranged and resized. 

I could be wrong, but I believe the issue has to do with the way AMD implements power saving with these newer GPU's. The GPU appears to "disconnect" from the system and reconnect when brought back from idle, thus causing the window resizing. As far as Windows was concerned, the GPU was being removed and put back in. 

It's true, I picked up a 780 ACX and am extremely happy with it. Scores about 1k less in FireStrike but who cares?? It works so much better and the image quality is leaps and bounds beyond AMD in the games I play. If I hadn't run 3DMark I'd have had no idea the 290 was slightly more powerful in synthetics. 

I try not to play fanboy with brands, because I had a really good experience with my 6950's in xfire. But the fact of the matter is that as of now nVidia is a better fit for me based on the games I play.

Reply to crow>>>

I had that exact same problem, that or when I moved the mouse to bring back the screen it would stay black, I narrowed it down to a driver issue, went back to the older driver and problem fixed.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

I had that exact same problem, that or when I moved the mouse to bring back the screen it would stay black, I narrowed it down to a driver issue, went back to the older driver and problem fixed.

On another side note the issue is still there with the newest Beta driver also.  I did have one driver version that didn't cause the issue, but that version was before some important updates that made certain games perform much better.   

I need pop in the 7850 for an afternoon and see if it's a problem for it also or if a large % of the people "Without the problem" might just don't have cards that have the issue.