Startup Item Question

kendellrt

I have been going through all of my startup items on my newly installed Win 8.1 and noticed the Google Update entry.  I've seen it before, but I've never really understood what it was for.  All of the resources that I have found via Google search say that it is not needed, but I though that it was the startup item used to update Chrome.  Keep in mind, this entry is the one located in the User Logon section, not in services or anywhere else.  I can't find a definitive answer as to whether I actually needed or not, so I thought I would go to my trusted to go source for the legit scope, which is OCC of course.  Will someone give me an answer on this?  I can provide a screenshot if you'd like.  Thanks everyone!  Now that I have jumped ship from Mac back to Windows, I really need to get invloved here again like I use to back in the day.

I don't think it's needed, but you may have trouble removing it.  If it's from Chrome, it probably won't stay gone.  You can try to delete the updater folder in the Google program files, that has worked for me.

If you use Google Chrome, Google Calendar or Gmail and want to receive automatic updates you should leave it enabled.  That is unless you want to do those things manually.