A problem that is beyond the ability of mortal man to solve

stormhawk31

Ok. I finally built a system about 4 months ago. I was nervous about using an MSI motherboard, because I've heard so many bad things about them, but with the budget I set for myself, that was my best option. I was also nervous about buying a used Corsair 850 power supply, but again, budget. So. Everything was fine, system actually ran great, until we had a thunderstorm. Power in the house fluctuated, computer turned off, and would not turn back on. I'm thinking, great, blown motherboard. This sucks, but good thing I bought a warranty. Well, I get all the way to the store, get ready to pull my motherboard, when I decide to check it out one last time. I plug it in, turn it on, and boom! Everything's fine. So, I forgo the swap and head home. Three weeks pass, and everything's fine. Then, today, I turn the system on to watch a movie. I realize that the hdmi cord is still plugged into the Xbox, so I unplug it and plug it into the back of the system. Boom! Power goes off and won't come back on. I screw with it for a while, trying to figure out what the deal is, but nothing I do works. So, not wanting to hurl the thing against the wall in frustration, I walk away. A half hour or so later, I figure I'll give it one last shot. I plug it in, turn it on, and boom! It's all good. So, I plug the hdmi cord back in and get ready to watch my movie. But before I do, I decide to get my other hdmi cord and plug that in, so I don't have to keep switching from Xbox to computer. I unplug the hdmi cord and plug in the other one and boom! Power goes out again and won't come back on. As I sit here writing this, it's been over half an hour, and still nothing. I don't know what gives, fellas. The only thing I can think of is that the motherboard is some kind of twitchy for some reason and needs to be replaced. I don't think it's the power supply, because the light on the video card is on, so that's getting power. I really don't know what to think, except just how much I'd really like to drop this system off a VERY tall building. Thoughts?

To me it sounds like you have one of two things going on and they all fall back to the PSU. I was about to condemn a board because I felt the 1000W PSU I had was good, all the lights on the board worked like normal but I got a quick flash then NADA when trying to power up. Swapped PSU's and I am still running 6 months on. If you were hot plugging the HDMI cables you could have induced and ESD and you would have to physically fully power down and unplug the PSU and what caused the short for it to re fire the system.  

If you have another PSU that would work try it first regardless of the concerns and do not hot plug devices. You can kill electronics that way. 

I had nearly the same issue with a XFX mobo and lightning strikes.  It can be super dry here and at the same time we have monsoon thunder storms.  A USP is a great investment and fixed my problems and worries for that system.  However it sounds like you have something more going on, it shouldn't die plugging in a hdmi connection to the mobo (although maybe with some static electricity?) If anything, give MSI a call, my experience with their rma support has been very solid.  Based in southern California so quick turnaround times too.

I'm with CCM, I'd try a spare power supply first.  Not sure why the MSI motherboard brand is giving you the creepers.  The last two I've had were great.  Face it, every brand lets a lemon escape once in a while.

and do not hot plug devices. You can kill electronics that way. 

This, SOOOO much this.

And now we know ccokeman is beyond that of a mortal man...

Although it is pretty obvious what he did wrong tho xD

Definitely sounds like a power supply issue to me. I have owned a few MSI motherboards and I can say that at least for me they tend to run full out till they just die. Never had one do anything flaky on me.

and do not hot plug devices. You can kill electronics that way.

This, SOOOO much this.

HDMI is perfectly fine to hotplug!

As we can see clearly from this topic's example :rolleyes:

Of course, normally, any usb device or visual cable are fine to hot-plug, but in his situation, it didn't bring him much good.

The issue here isn't hot plugging devices...it was a lightning strike/power outage. I'd bet a new PSU will clear things right up.

Blaming hot plugging is like blaming water for making you fat after eating a dozen donuts a day for a year. :lol:

The issue here isn't hot plugging devices...it was a lightning strike/power outage. I'd bet a new PSU will clear things right up.

Blaming hot plugging is like blaming water for making you fat after eating a dozen donuts a day for a year. :lol:

+1 I've been hotplugging HDMI alot with my desktop half with me now (until I just borrowed a video card) or when I switch between my computer and the PS3 and no issues