Cannot install Windows 7 via USB

HungryHippo81

Hi everyone, so i am trying to do a clean install onto a Samsung EVO 250GB SSD via usb (no dvd drive lol), yet each time i try to press next at the 'which drive do you want to install on' it says that "setup was unable to  create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See thwesetup log files for more information". I've tried just about everything, the drive is SATAIII changed it from IDE to ACHI in the UEFI/bios. USB boot is enabled.

It is the only drive connected, no DVD drive either (so even if i had the disk itd be for nothing). what else... the board is an AsRock 970 Extreme4 with an AMD fx-8320 cpu (stock everything, no overclocking) the drive is plugged into the first sata port on the MOBO. i mean it seeeees the drive so i am lost...

AND beyond really frustrated because i thought this was going to be an almost sort of simple process seeing as how microsoft provides the tool to turn a usb into a bootable Win7 drive. now im stuck using my phone and an old craptop :'( helpp pleasee!!! thank you all :\ (also tried to see if this was posted previously but i did not see anything so my apologies if it's there)

Edited by HungryHippo81

and i understand piracy talk is forbidden which i not what im trying to do;i have a genuine product key, but cant get it to even install to begin with. i've searched long and hard but have now decided to post and see if anyone can relay an answer to me. again thanks everyone!

Make sure the USB is booting as a Hard drive and make sure BOTH are visible in the BIOS/UEFI

I believe Secure Rom or Secure Boot needs to be OFF

I will be checking this as soon as I get home and ill post back if anything changes!

did you use the microsoft windows USB installation setup?

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

You'll need the Windows 7 ISO, then just run the program and it will setup the thumb drive for windows 7 and be properly bootable. You can also put updates and anything else on the drive too

Hey commander, I did use that program and the iso I obtained from digital river I believe? i think those that are posted come as the Windows 7 with SP1? Or maybe I am wrong and it is justtt SP1? Im not sure about any of this anymore :/

I have seen issues like this with some motherboards when using as USB3 port, try a USB 2.0 port.

Ed,

Does it make a difference if I am using a usb3.0 as the boot drive in a 2.0 port? Bc if so I think I have a 2.0 hdd ill jjst partition and use instead?

ComputerEd, is asking you try using USB port on the motherboard that is 2.0 not the USB stick..

How old is your motherboard? Is this your first SSD?

If it is. your motherboard might not be seeing the SSD? Go into bios to see if it sees the SSD.. And make it the first Hard drive in the list.. Or  if you have other hard drives, unplug the power to them and just have the SSD plugged in. 

Give that a try... 

Is it a brand new SSD?  Was the package sealed when you received it?

Is there anything else on the bootable USB drive other than the Windows installation files?

If I were faced with the same problem this is what I would do;

1. Make sure every other storage device is disconnected and other non-essential usb, firewire devices disconnected

2. Ensure that your SSD is connected to the AMD controller port

3. Get a USB drive and install bootable GPart

4. Secure erase SSD using GPart

5. Shut down

6. Remove USB drive, clear CMOS

7. Reboot, enter BIOS and load BIOS default values

8. Reboot, enter BIOS and ensure that BIOS sees SSD and that you have it listed in the boot order

9. Ensure that controller mode is set to AHCI

10. Save changes exit

110. Power down again, connect flash drive with Windows installation.

12. Power up and use quick boot menu (F9, F10, F11, F12 etc.) to set first boot device

13. Proceed and attempt to install Windows.