VPN Service?

gebraset

I think this might have called for a new topic instead, lol. I'm surprised at the way the thread went though, because you could have just purchased a VPS for like $5 and used it for that along with whatever else you might want. It's like back when I had my own Minecraft server, it was way cheaper to just have one hosted that way than actually renting one for 4x the price or more, and I was hosting like a 100 slot teamspeak server on it too.

Edited by Locutus

Thanks Waco, that's what I was leaning towards, lol.

And Locutus, a new thread may have been needed. :P But yeah, I know exactly what you mean. In the end, it could have been cheaper and a heck of a lot easier to go the route of purchasing something from a provider. However, it only seems this way based on VPN prices and not VPS prices (cheapest VPS I'm seeing is $10 per month). Either way, I'm good to go through my home router now, but just wanted to ping the community's opinion on if a VPN is actually needed at home. It just seems like people are pushing it for the sake of having it, rather than tangible benefits.

• 3 years later...

I use Express VPN.  12.95 a month but very fast. Also has a phone app.  Love the service and never have a problem or a phone call/email from service provider.

• 2 years later...

I am using mainly Hola VPN, which is activated via browser permission. This is the best solution for bypassing blocking on some sites. But now I need a VPN for Nvidia Shield. Who has experience in using this TV box? I have read the material, but I want to know the opinions of other users.

I know you have probably already made your choice but wanted to pass on some info.

About 2 years go I decided to go to a VPN and started looking around for the best and most reliable. I went thru several VPN providers before I settled on Mozilla VPN. The problem with the other VPN providers was that I use Thunderbird and more often than not, I would fail to get mail and sending mail often required that I shut down the VPN in order to send mail without a failure to connect error. In the case of 2 VPNs, after a software update,  Win 10 would crash. Only a system restore fixed the problem. Thank God for Restore Points and system backups.

Also, of note, if you are on Amazon Prime, you can not watch any videos using a VPN. Amazon simply will not let you do it. This was true of every VPN that I used. I have dropped Prime.

• 2 months later...

A virtual private network extends a private network across a public network and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network. 

dgcustomerfirst

Edited by Gross15

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...