No real point at home IMHO.

Tolerance is a sign of weakness.

#14 Locutus

Locutus

Fortune favors the bold.

• Folding Member
  • 2011 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

I think this might have called for a new topic instead, lol. I'm surprised at the way the thread went though, because you could have just purchased a VPS for like $5 and used it for that along with whatever else you might want. It's like back when I had my own Minecraft server, it was way cheaper to just have one hosted that way than actually renting one for 4x the price or more, and I was hosting like a 100 slot teamspeak server on it too.

Edited by Locutus, 17 September 2015 - 07:22 AM.

Heatware - Ebay

"I can't believe I ate the entire kitten!"

sigimage.gif

#15 gebraset

gebraset

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

Thanks Waco, that's what I was leaning towards, lol.

And Locutus, a new thread may have been needed. :P But yeah, I know exactly what you mean. In the end, it could have been cheaper and a heck of a lot easier to go the route of purchasing something from a provider. However, it only seems this way based on VPN prices and not VPS prices (cheapest VPS I'm seeing is $10 per month). Either way, I'm good to go through my home router now, but just wanted to ping the community's opinion on if a VPN is actually needed at home. It just seems like people are pushing it for the sake of having it, rather than tangible benefits.

Gateway NV52L15u

15.6” HD LED LCD | AMD A10-5750M | AMD Radeon 8650G | Samsung 850 EVO 256GB | 8GB DDR3 1600

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revived Gaming PC

HP w2207h LCD | AMD Phenom 9150e @ 2.165GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti | HGST 500GB 7,200RPM | 4GB DDR2 800

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#16 baymizin

baymizin

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:37 AM

Yeah, HMA is just too expensive for what I am looking for mangafox, but I appreciate madalin stunt cars 2 the input.

In regards to IronSocket, it actually looks pretty good and professional. The setup seems like PureVPN, but a little more friendly overall. Thank you for the suggestion!

I stumbled across VPNBook last night, and am using it right now. It seems to work pretty darn well, especially since it is free and uses the OpenVPN Client to connect to the servers which it has in Europe, the UK, and US. Has anyone used it before? It seems like exactly what I need, which is to keep credentials and traffic secure over open networks.

I have actually used HMA, IPVanish and a few others. I live in Asia and use mostly US based sites. HMA has the most servers to choose from but I did have problems from time to time as well as getting booted now and then. I started using IPVanish about 3 months ago and have never had any problems. I was also using some free proxy sites that worked well at topvpns dot org. I have not used purevpn, but have heard good this too.

Edited by baymizin, 09 March 2018 - 05:39 AM.