6 replies to this topic

#1 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32773 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

Tonight Frank takes a quick look at NVIDIA's latest 337.50 beta driver.

Read his article here:

http://www.overclock...ver_comparison/

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
2 X Titan X in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
Asus 32" 4K Monitor
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#2 DanTheGamer11

DanTheGamer11

Proud noob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4403 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

Good review, graphs were a bit confusing(it's the morning mkay) but good review. 

Seems like a good patch, didn't perform any miracles but it did give small boosts :) Wish there was a weaker CPU tested since I think that's where you'd see the biggest boosts. 

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @3.2Ghz
Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 8GB 1.48V 1600Mhz DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical
Motherboard Asrock N68C-GS FX
Graphics XFX HD 7950
Storage 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD, 240GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, Thanks OCC & Kingston, makes a big difference  :)
Optical Disk Drive Sony Optiarc DVD/CD ReWriter
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 650W Bronze
Case Cooler Master CM690, Akasa 4 port USB front panel (MOAR USBs  :woot:)

#3 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19453 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

Good review, graphs were a bit confusing(it's the morning mkay) but good review. 

Seems like a good patch, didn't perform any miracles but it did give small boosts :) Wish there was a weaker CPU tested since I think that's where you'd see the biggest boosts. 

Agreed about the graphs...would have been better with them side-by-side to better see the difference, but sadly that's just because of OCC's antiquated system.

As for testing with a weak CPU, that makes no sense. When testing the limits of graphics cards, you want the best CPU possible, otherwise your CPU will become the limit.

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 770 - 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866MHz -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: Razer Sabertooth Review ::: Watch Dogs Review :::

#4 DanTheGamer11

DanTheGamer11

Proud noob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4403 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

Agreed about the graphs...would have been better with them side-by-side to better see the difference, but sadly that's just because of OCC's antiquated system.

As for testing with a weak CPU, that makes no sense. When testing the limits of graphics cards, you want the best CPU possible, otherwise your CPU will become the limit.

I thought this driver was for lowering the cpu overhead(somewhat) like mantle did, but without a new api?

Graphics XFX HD 7950
Storage 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD, 240GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, Thanks OCC & Kingston, makes a big difference  :)

#5 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19453 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

I thought this driver was for lowering the cpu overhead(somewhat) like mantle did, but without a new api?

Nothing I've seen indicates that. The point of the update, afaik, was to prove that there are still a lot of performance gains out there to be grabbed from DX11 without the need for a new API (Mantle, DX12, or otherwise).

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 770 - 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866MHz -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: Razer Sabertooth Review ::: Watch Dogs Review :::

#6 DanTheGamer11

DanTheGamer11

Proud noob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4403 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

Nothing I've seen indicates that. The point of the update, afaik, was to prove that there are still a lot of performance gains out there to be grabbed from DX11 without the need for a new API (Mantle, DX12, or otherwise).

http://www.geforce.c...formance-driver

"As with 337.50 Beta’s single-GPU DirectX 11 optimizations, CPU overhead reductions apply globally, benefitting the majority of DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and DirectX 11 games the instant they go on sale. "

"In 337.50 Beta we’ve dramatically reduced multi-GPU CPU overhead, resulting in considerable performance gains in CPU-bound games"

You haven't seen this? 

The reduced overhead is all I see in the increase in performance(especially in the big jumps), otherwise its just driver to driver optimization that you see every time a new driver is launched for nVidida/AMD.

Edited by DanTheGamer11, 14 April 2014 - 09:02 AM.

Graphics XFX HD 7950

#7 ccokeman

ccokeman

????????????

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12198 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

I may revisit this one with an AMD CPU to see what the impact is. 

Processor Intel Core I7 4690X  4.3Ghz
Memory G.Skill RipJaws  32GB 2400Mhz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV BE
Graphics  GTX TitanX x2
Power Corsair AX 1200,
Monitor ASUS PQ321Q
Cooling Liquid by comittee

Storage  OCZ RevoDrive 350 480GB  Seagate 8TB
Follow OCC on facebook.png