Did Everyone Give up on AMD? 8320 Specifically

GabrielT

Basically Piledriver has been around long enough everything about it has been said, discussed, and/or argued.  Excitement follows the new. It is like seeing Sandy Bridge articles.

AMD is solid, but each new generation of Intel leaves it  looking more  mundane.  The Steamroller uncertainty has not helped.

Interestingly enough used AMD CPUs appear to sell quickly and retain more of their value than Intel CPUs.  The FX-6300/6350 gets the most mention at the moment, for price/performance.

Plus too often fanboys and trolls  run with this kind of post,

I loved my cousin's 620 Propus, that little sucker kicked ass. I'd be half willing to go AMD when this machine dies. I've had great luck with my E350 HTPC, and my dad's X4 940 machine has been problem free

She had a 640 before, it was nice but was having real trouble in games.

Did you overclock it?? Her 620 got to 3.41ghz (with a GTX460) and seemed to game just as well as my 4.0ghz Q9450 (with a 4870x2) at the time.

I'd also look into maybe a Phenom X6 if you can find one for the same price

I'm going with a 6300, everything I have read says you wont notice much of a difference between that and the 8320, and the performance difference in gaming of the i5s doesn't justify the price increase.

google core parking... it's an OS feature...

It seems her motherboard allows C6 state disabling in the Bios. I disabled it when I was setting up the OC, just assumed it was some fancy power saving nonsense. I guess I will have to check the resource manager but I haven't noticed anything 

I loved my cousin's 620 Propus, that little sucker kicked ass. I'd be half willing to go AMD when this machine dies. I've had great luck with my E350 HTPC, and my dad's X4 940 machine has been problem free

She had a 640 before, it was nice but was having real trouble in games.

Did you overclock it?? Her 620 got to 3.41ghz (with a GTX460) and seemed to game just as well as my 4.0ghz Q9450 (with a 4870x2) at the time.

I'd also look into maybe a Phenom X6 if you can find one for the same price

I had the 640 at 3.6Ghz the entire time she had it. It just wasn't enough for online multiplayer. Her frame rates more than doubled in the places she usually got FPS problems with the Athlon. It works ok for most games most of the time though, I am not a believer in Graphics Card>CPU in games. A bottle neck is a bottle neck regardless. 

Specs are 8320, 8Gb DDR3 1600 (4gb x 2), GTX 660 standard, WD 1tb. Next upgrade is a SSD. 

Well for one I already have the 8320. PII X6's go for more used than the FX. Clock to clock performance (when comparing core to core) is basically identical and the FX clocks higher and has 2 extra cores for less money. I looked into finding one and I couldn't get one for under $175 used. No warranty and less go fast for more money. 

Also I wanted something shiny and new. 8 cores just sounded like more fun. 

I have a 8350 that runs my work rig at home.

Well it's starting to look like I was completely wrong about the lack of interest. 

Edited by GabrielTessin

I have an FX-8350, a FX-4170, and a Phenom-II 980 Black.

All of them work fine, but I have only the FX-8350 running at the present time.

An Asetek 570-LX with four high performance fans in Push/Pull cools the 8350 without any issues.

With a good video card, the AMD systems game well. Win-Win situation as I see it.

Edited by RealNeil

I recently did a build with an AMD 8320. I had a very very difficult time deciding on whether to go with Intel, or AMD. In the end I was swayed by the price to performance and the overall platform price was a lot cheaper as well as the CPU. In the end I got a very capable build for ~$600. A solid Seasonic PSU, 32GB of G. Skill RAM, a cheap pci-e graphics card and a quad port GBE Intel NIC, and a nice (but cheap) NZXT case.

Since it's being used for a VMware ESXi white box build, I have not even attempted to overclock at all. That being said I have been VERY satisfied with the performance of the system and I have been able to run more virtual machines on it than I had anticipated without experience any real slowdown. I actually hit RAM limits before I overload the CPU. It's amazing how much can be accomplished on a low budget these days. 

AMD has it's place in the market, and I hope they always will. I highly doubt they will dethrone Intel anytime soon, but I also feel that they really do not need to. The technology has come so far that unless you are doing VERY high end benchmarking or video gaming/rendering, you will generally be hard pressed to notice the performance difference in real world situations.

I love my AMD build!

The 8320/8350 outperform the 6300/6350 by more than the 25% margin, but pricewise the FX-63XX are more for the money.

I think the 6350 is a bad deal. The 6300 and the 8320 are the best deals and the 8350 and 6350 though not bad deals, aren't as good for the money. 

6300=$110 Good deal Lowest Cost of the bunch

6350=$140 Meh deal 27% more than the 6300 11% higher clock than the 6300

8320=$150 Best deal 7% more than 6350  33% more cores than the 6300, same clock.

8350=$190 Good Deal 26% more than the 8320 14% Higher clock than the 8320.

The 6350 and 8350 appear to be the worst deals of deals out of the mid priced Vishera chips.

This unscientific and untested and flawed way to look at it but on paper clock at stock clocks.

Value would seem to go in the order of.

Best

Close second

And basically tied for last

8350 and 6350. Which the passmarks value CPU list seems to back up. 

The AMD vs Intel issue is about two different points of discussion. In pure benchmarks, per raw performance numbering Intel wins hands down. When you move to the actual computing experience, the using your computer, not benchmarking the difference is hard to see.

In general day to day use, web browsing and such, things everyone does, there is no difference in the experience. Okay let me take that back a bit, we have never quantified it but AMD systems feel quicker in day to day work with all other factors being equal. Never have understood why. In fact at this level the low cost $100 chips deliver the same experience as $500 chips.

Next most common use is likely gaming. here you might be surprised how little the difference is in experience. I used an A10 6800K at stock vs an i7 477K at stock and with the same video cards and same settings the game play experience was identical. Now in fairness I am not a professional gamer but then again most of us are not. So eve a so called budget chip against Intel's flag chip for general consumers the difference was to minor to count. Agasin let me clarify I PLAYED the games, I did not benchmark them.

Finally we come to more advanced productivity work like video and audio editing as well as rendering and such. Do not count picture editing because to be honest unless you are dealing with ultra high res photography ANY system can do picture editing well. Now I do a lot less video work than audio so there is my expertise. I take a two hour radio show, piece together three segments, blend down and then convert them from a raw WAV file down to a 64Kbps single channel MP3. I actually do this work on a Sapphire Edge using an AMD A8-4555M clocked at 1.6 Ghz with 8 gigs of RAM. It takes 2:56 for the entire mix down and conversion process for the one hour segment. Now for grins I did the same setup on my i7 4770K with 16 gig and it took.....  2:03. Now that sound a lot faster right? Is it, really in the grand scheme of things? The difference in performance would mean I would save about 2 minutes a week in my work. When you figure cost difference and such that 2 minutes Is meaningless.

Now if I was doing this same work on 30 files a day, 5 days a week then the savings would matter in terms of productivity but for the level I do the savings in time from the performance boost means nothing. THAT is something no one spends time talking about. A home user might transcode a video now and then, do some photo editing and play some games but at the end of the day that is the limit for 90% of us when it comes to our home computer use and the need for performance. When you realize how little of our time during lets say a week on average the transcoding and editing take the performance gains begin to mean a lot less.

As for the gaming the key here to get the best gaming experience. When a lower cost CPU has only a minor impact on the game experience then the question is does it matter for the cost difference.

In answer to the OP, I personally have given up on the entire FX lineup. Not because of the chips performance which is solid but rather due to the fact I have moved all my builds to SFF and the FX lineup has no good quality boards for this type of build, well no good quality mATX, with actually none at all in board for ITX.

The AMD vs Intel issue is about two different points of discussion. In pure benchmarks, per raw performance numbering Intel wins hands down. When you move to the actual computing experience, the using your computer, not benchmarking the difference is hard to see.

Agreed. My AMD systems do well in day to day use. My Intel rigs are quicker, but not by much given equal GPUs and SSDs.