Did Everyone Give up on AMD? 8320 Specifically

GabrielT

I picked up a FX 8320 Black edition as an upgrade for a Propus 640 for my wife's PC awhile back and just looking around OCC and there is pretty much no 8320 love here. Really no Piledriver love in general. I have been out of the loop but still heard about Bulldozer being let down. 

I overclocked the Bejesus out of it on a Hyper 212+ (single fan) and think I am stable at [email protected] on a cheap Gigabyte 990XA UD3 board. I think I could push it further but I am nearing 60c with air cooling so I will call it good for now. It even puts up good benchmarks too. Also it's a testamet to 

I guess it is because the newer Intel chips are so good in comparison but I would think a few people at least would be rocking the super cheap Black editions. Just even for an upgrade if you had an Athlon and a AM3+ board which is exactly why I bought it for her. 

Edited by GabrielTessin

This is good to hear. I did a forum search and didn't find much on the Vishera procs. 

I'm running a Bulldozer FX-6100 here...

Ok when I said joke I meant in context of what AMD said they were going to be. Good processors but they couldn't live up to the expectations AMD led us to believe. I'm going to edit it, sometimes I am rude by accident. 

I have an 8350 too just waiting for a SSD to finish the rig! just havent gotten/found a great deal on one yet!

I bought it last year at tax time so it;s been sitting that long on the bench unfinished....oh boy!

Even though I believe that Intel is on top of the processor game at the moment,

I've opted to use a FX-8350 for my new gaming rig.. There are several reasons

to this, but one reason for this is that I really want to try out the AMD processors..

I'm on a budget for my rig, and that's where I think AMD comes into play. If their

processors were way below Intel in performance, they would've been gone by now..

I've never owned one before, but as most reviews have stated: AMD is performance at a

reasonable price! It might just be my ignorance talking, but I do hope that the AMD

processors at least makes an imprint on the average gamer who's on a budget..

Sure, Intel has since long ago been the top dog, but I like betting on the underdog!

I'm sure that most users of an Intel processor wouldn't notice a "real" difference in

performance compared to an AMD processor.. At least I hope so with my current build!

Feel obliged to check it out in the System Builds forum..! (And give pointers!)

Overall, I hate the way every market is transforming into single, large companies where

monopoly is somewhat of a standard.. Of course, if I had 80% of this community telling

me that an Intel processor makes a substantial difference, I would gladly choose one..!

But to me, supporting the underdog might be worthwhile in the long run.. Hopefully...

Peace..!

I loved my cousin's 620 Propus, that little sucker kicked ass. I'd be half willing to go AMD when this machine dies. I've had great luck with my E350 HTPC, and my dad's X4 940 machine has been problem free

I personally bounce back and forth between Intel and AMD based on who can give me what I need.  Right now in 90% of the market Intel is doing that for me.  Buying an 8 core FX is like buying a Pentium D back in 2005. It's hot, relatively slow and uses a ton of power, but at least AMD has the CPU pricing nearly low enough to compensate unlike Intel riding the Pentium brand back then.

Factoring in the INSANE 220W TDP and you get many motherboards that can't even power it forcing more expensive  boards and cooling hurting the price/perf ratio.

Well I had a puppy trying to help type that, I think I got most of the extra characters out (as I typed that he stepped on the spacebar and added 90 spaces for me) if not oops and I blame him for my scattered thoughts :)

Even though I believe that Intel is on top of the processor game at the moment,

I've opted to use a FX-8350 for my new gaming rig.. There are several reasons

to this, but one reason for this is that I really want to try out the AMD processors..

I'm on a budget for my rig, and that's where I think AMD comes into play. If their

processors were way below Intel in performance, they would've been gone by now..

I've never owned one before, but as most reviews have stated: AMD is performance at a

reasonable price! It might just be my ignorance talking, but I do hope that the AMD

processors at least makes an imprint on the average gamer who's on a budget..

Sure, Intel has since long ago been the top dog, but I like betting on the underdog!

I'm sure that most users of an Intel processor wouldn't notice a "real" difference in

performance compared to an AMD processor.. At least I hope so with my current build!

Feel obliged to check it out in the System Builds forum..! (And give pointers!)

Overall, I hate the way every market is transforming into single, large companies where

monopoly is somewhat of a standard.. Of course, if I had 80% of this community telling

me that an Intel processor makes a substantial difference, I would gladly choose one..!

But to me, supporting the underdog might be worthwhile in the long run.. Hopefully...

Peace..!

I wouldn't say underdog, I would say cheaper and very capable alternative. I personally run an i5 750 in my computer and it honestly can still perform right with the 8320 when comparing stock clocks and overclocked between them. i5 750 is mostly equal to it but falls short of the shear multitasking insanity the 8320 but I think if I picked up a used i7 870 they would be more or less equal. TBH I'm not ready to upgrade mine for awhile. 

Notice I said i7 870 not a new i5 or i7. Darn Intel and their socket changing schemes. The wife's PC had a proc at least two generations behind the currant one and the socket was still compatible. Something that would NEVER happen with Intel. 

You think computer monopoly is bad you should check out consumer fishing sometime. Of the thousands of companies there were 30 years ago 95% are owned by 3-5 corporations. Pure fishing being the worst of them (as far as taking over everything).

I loved my cousin's 620 Propus, that little sucker kicked ass. I'd be half willing to go AMD when this machine dies. I've had great luck with my E350 HTPC, and my dad's X4 940 machine has been problem free

She had a 640 before, it was nice but was having real trouble in games. 

The 8350/8320 is nice if you can keep it cool. Even an H100i struggles at 4.7 GHz and 1.43v to maintain clocks.

Not really having trouble with the one I got. My house is probably a fair bit colder than most peoples though. I live in Northern Minnesota, we hit -35f last night. I think if I fiddled with it I could run less Vcore. I set up the OC in about a half hour and tested it for 6 or so hours. I think I found the limit the multiplier is happy at, I think I can back it down and give the FSB a bump.  

I personally bounce back and forth between Intel and AMD based on who can give me what I need.  Right now in 90% of the market Intel is doing that for me.  Buying an 8 core FX is like buying a Pentium D back in 2005. It's hot, relatively slow and uses a ton of power, but at least AMD has the CPU pricing nearly low enough to compensate unlike Intel riding the Pentium brand back then.

Factoring in the INSANE 220W TDP and you get many motherboards that can't even power it forcing more expensive  boards and cooling hurting the price/perf ratio.

Well I had a puppy trying to help type that, I think I got most of the extra characters out (as I typed that he stepped on the spacebar and added 90 spaces for me) if not oops and I blame him for my scattered thoughts :)

I agree with the Pentium D, at the time AMD was rocking lower clocks and higher efficiency (Mhz Per FLOP) but then BOOM. Intel dropped the C2D than the C2Q and then the i5's and the i7's with their fancy new architecture. So AMD feel behind and decided to just crank it to 11 until they figured out the next big break through.

I think my modestly priced UD3 990XA could handle on of the 9XXX series, it doesn't seem to break a sweat when I OC the 8320. It doesn't "Officially" support it but we are overclockers, we aren't known for our restraint when it comes to hardware specs. 

220 watt TDP on what is essentually a enthuiast only processor isn't a big deal to me. Mine is (according to a calculator that I am sure isn't reliable) is right around 200-220 watts at 4.6 and I am running a Hyper 212+ and not a liquid cooling loop. I checked, it didn't actually burst into flames yet. You would think the 9590 would be able to do that with less Vcore. Besides, those chicks are basically the same as the Tweaker x4 Phenoms. People who buy them aren't sane like you and I.

I bought an 8320 for 99$ new during blackfriday

it's a very good processor

I don't like having to manually disable this core parking BS but I have already taken care of it

The what has a what now? I just turned off Cool N Quiet (or whatever) and let er rip. Maybe my MoBo doesn't support that feature. 

Edited by GabrielTessin