Is it worth it?

Hey guys,

I need help.  I'm thinking of getting an Intel Core i3 3240 3.4GHz with MSI B75A-G43 gaming Motherboard.  I'm on a tight budget and I would be using this for work and gaming.  I currently have a Radeon 7750HD video card which I would be adding.  Would I get good frame rates in games with this setup?  I would be able to upgrade the heatsink in the next few weeks so OC might be possible in the future.  Another possible set up is a AMD Trinity A10 5800K with a Asus F2A85V Pro.  Any thoughts?  

Cheers!

X

If that's the absolute most you can afford, I'd say go for it. You can always put an i5 or i7 in that later on down the line. Certainly you can swap out your GPU as well if you desire more horsepower.

I'd certainly get the Intel setup over the A10. 

Edited by Crow47

Can't overclock the intel period. Locked multipliers and its a "corporate" chipset which is pretty heavily locked down.

Personally, I'd go with the APU. With aftermarket heatsink they overclock pretty well.

Can't overclock the intel period. Locked multipliers and its a "corporate" chipset which is pretty heavily locked down.

Personally, I'd go with the APU. With aftermarket heatsink they overclock pretty well.

Bah, I didn't even see that.

I'd go with the APU as well simply because it's a quad and unlocked. You'll pay a bit more in power and heat but it'll be more enjoyable.

Biggest question I have is what are you using now? Sure an A10 sounds good with the 7750, but if you're already running say...an Athlon II X4 645 are...you really going to get your money's worth vs saving up some more?

Knowing the FULL specs of what you have now would really help.

Thanks for the replies guys.  I got an Athlon 64 dual core with 1Gb of RAM.  I got this one for 5 or 6 years now.

I need to upgrade it in the next 2 to 3 weeks it's because I use this for work and it's really crapping out on me.  It was 2 Gb of RAM until like a couple of weeks ago and one gave out.  Instead of patching it up like I did in the past I decided to just get a new system.  

Right now I'm weighing between the A10 with Asus F2A85V Pro or the i3 4130 with Gigabyte D3HP.  Just in case this would help you guys I would be running Ubuntu on a VM for work.  Then play some fps games when I have the time.  I have seen a review where the Haswell i3 has better benchmarks than the A10 which is on stock.  And yeah I am a novice when it comes to overclocking so it would also boil down to if I have the guts to oc the A10 or not.  LOL

Edited by Xhanmourn

That makes it a lot easier to suggest doing an upgrade then :) Based on the options you listed, something like the A10 setup would be my pick. The only reason I have i5/i7 systems is the budget has worked out and power/heat/cost/performance ratios said it was the better choice for me, but I personally wouldn't go with an i3 being stuck at stock speeds and looking at the price/performance ratio.  I MIGHT consider a higher end Z77/Z87 board with a pentium dual core with the plan to upgrade soon but only if you KNOW you'll have the funds to do so before the platform is outdated.

I would get an Athlon 760K with an FM2+ motherboard so you have a open upgrade path with AMD. Would save about $30 on the CPU, the chip is unlocked and teamed with an FM2+ board for about $100 you are Kaveri ready.