Civilization V 3-Years Later Reviewed

Bosco

Civ 5 is a great game but there are still a number of players that have games crashes, through all upgrades, with huge maps.  I am one.  It also will not successfully save and restart a game with a huge map late in the game, usually after or when you gain the ability to produce tanks.  It's a great game but they have never fixed it.  It also appears to have some weak coding.  I have an 17-920, 12meg, Win7-64bit rig.  When I get a late game that is still running, I can let it sit over 8 hours and the game is still using a bunch of cpu cycles when nothing is happening in the game.  It's like it's constantly polling the board to see if something is happening instead of using an interrupt or event based programming model.

I used to play huge maps all the time on my old Phenom 720 with 4 GB of RAM and it may have taken some time between turns, but never that long. Having barbarians off will definitely help with that too. Saves also were never a problem

I did use to have driver crashes, and I'm not sure if those were because of Civ V or something else. They are why I have it set to autosave every turn.