New to Overclocking and failing

speshulJ

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm new to this whole overclocking stuff. I recently built a gaming comp (about a month old now) and decided to try and do a little overclocking. However all my attempts at a very meager overclock (I'm not trying to push it) are failing.

My comp specs:

cpu: i7 4770k

mb: Asus ROG Maximus VI Impact mini itx

psu: SeaSonic 660w 80 PLUS Platinum

memory: GSkill Ripjaw 8gb (2x4) 1600

gpu: Gigabyte Windforce 3 GTX 770

cooler: Corsair H90

I went with the ROG mb for the specific purpose of OC'ing. It appears that at default it's setting the cpu to 3.9ghz with CPU Core Voltage at 1.248V. Here's what I've tried:

In the BIOS, if I select ASUS Optimal, which pushes towards more performance, the computer will consistently bsod at the Windows login.

Reset to defaults and everything is fine.

If I go into the ROG AI Suite III and select 4-Way Optimization (which will supposedly give best recommended settings based on system use), it will set the cpu to 4.2ghz, which is where I would be more than happy. I restart the machine and everything seems ok but Prime 95 will bsod after about 5 minutes.

Reset to defaults and everything is fine. I've been running Prime 95 for over an hour now with no problems, temps have not exceeded 53C.

Perhaps I just got a lemon i7 4770k.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by speshulJ

Yes, been looking at that. Most of it's Greek to me. I just don't understand why my "simple" overclocks (using ROG automatic methods) are failing. I know it's not a "one shoe fits all" type of deal, but it's not like I'm trying to OC to 4.5ghz or beyond. Do I need to switch to manual?

Yes switch to manual and slowly rise it yourself.  Ive found sometimes the Auto OC tries to up the BLCK or CPU Strap in order to get the best results. This can cause the OC to fail since many PCIe cards cannot handle more than 2mhz over 100. That's really all I can think of, but the OC aren't the best for a good overclock.

If Prime95 and Memtest pass at stock than you shouldn't have to touch most of the bios options for 4.2ghz. just focus on the things listed below or the 3rd page of the guide and stay below the maximum suggested voltage (pg.1 and you really cannot harm anything. If the naming schemes do not make sense or "Greek" I suggest, The guide (pg.2), googling or reading the manual.

CPU Voltage

CPU Frequency

CPU Multiplier
CPU Ring Ratio
CPU Ring Voltage
-----------------------

System Agent Voltage isn't necessary for DDR3 1600 but if all else fails, raise it (+.195)

edit: did you run memtest86? and or set the XMP profile?