Tablet suggestion for elderly people?

kennethk

Any ideas? My grandmother wants one to be able to surf the web though she knows nothing about technology. I'm not looking for a $150 dollar ($50-$100 price range please) device here so try and keep it under $100, it doesn't have to be super speedy but responsive enough to where useable.

Maybe a 512mb ram and 1.2ghz a8 chip would do good?

I remember there were sweetly priced deals on the Kindle Fire HDs a while back, they have decent specs (and can be rooted and made into a nexus pretty much lol)

I'm not really up or into tablets in general though.

Honestly, an iPad would probably best for ease of use, but they're well beyond your price range.

For the price you're looking for, I'd probably go with what IVI said and get a Kindle Fire HD.

I do a LOT of tech work for older people and I have learned a few things over the last few years of tablets taking off. 

1. It doesn't matter what OS they start on, it will become the one they understand if they haven't used one before. I've had several customers that started with apple products that cant figure out android and just as many the other way around.  Even if you weren't forced into it with the price point I would go android for savings now AND later.

2. Screen size matters, with most older folks the bigger the better. I get two complaints about 7" tablets #1 "I can't see the little stuff on the screen"

3. and #2 is users of many of the "cheap" 7" tablets have performance complaints when browsing their favorite websites.  

That Nextbook 8" honestly looks like a very good choice for the money or as mentioned above the Kindle Fire HD is a good device to consider and it has a more basic UI out of the box that may be a pro or a con.  

I was looking at that exactt but would the nextbook 7 also be good?

As stated for older people the bigger the screen the better... not only is a smaller screen hard to see but they usually have finger joint issues that make small screens hard to navigate.

Not sure where you are located but if you have a Winners store close by take a look there. Last time I checked they had a Kindle dual core for about $80 plus tax. Other than that I can vouch for the ASUS MEMO Pad 10, even if it's a bit out of your price range. IMO the added performance of the Tegra 3 will make the whole experience way better. Maybe you can hunt one on sale or used.

The Nook HD+ at $150 for a 9" tablet is still one hell of a deal. The design even helps a little as it is easy to create a Lanyard and attach it to the Nook so they will have a harder time dropping it.

In my own experiences in trying to find a Tablet for my mother I have run into the issue that tablet OS's do not have good features for people with poor eyesight.