I can't overclock my E8500 over 3.37 ghz, 9.5x355 is the highest i can go without my pc not being able to boot, i've read that you can normally go up to 3.8ghz without altering vcore, what can be going wrong?

Is using it at 3.37ghz with RAM at 1156mhz even recommendable?

It runs stable, have had no problems at all, i just dont think 3.16 to 3.37 is much of an overclock.. I want to get to 4.0ghz

My PC specs:

Biostar G41D3c Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Nirvana Zerotherm nv120 Cooler

Kingston Value Ram 1333D3N9K2/8GB Dual Channel Kit (Timings set at 7-7-7-20 running at 1156mhz)

Zotac GT520 1GB Video Card

M-Audio Sound Card

500GB Hitachi Sata Hard Drive

Not sure how many watts my PSU runs, doesnt have any info on it

I'd appreciate any kind of help :)

if you wanted a good overclock with that cpu, you shouldnt have cheaped out on the motherboard.

that board is as bad as they get for overclocking, if you want higher clocks get a decent motherboard ;)

but why would you want higher clocks anyway? that gt520 isn't gonna give more performance than it does now.

plus a good chance this is a pre-build pc, and those pc's sucks balls in terms of components and options.

Edited by WarWeeny

if you wanted a good overclock with that cpu, you shouldnt have cheaped out on the motherboard.

that board is as bad as they get for overclocking, if you want higher clocks get a decent motherboard ;)

but why would you want higher clocks anyway? that gt520 isn't gonna give more performance than it does now.

plus a good chance this is a pre-build pc, and those pc's sucks balls in terms of components and options.

Unfortunately when i got that motherboard i didn't even know i could overclock, my stock motherboard fried so i had to replace it with low budget, then little by little i put more stuff in it like the 8GB ram, the e8500 and the Zerotherm NV120, i just ordered a new Galaxy GT640 1GB Overclocked Model since i don't have the money to upgrade to a better psu and card at the moment, i've seen alot of problems overclocking with DDR3 Socket 775 Boards, what Motherboard would you recommend?

Is the P43 Chipset any good for O/C?

Any ASUS-GIGABYTE-MSI or ASROCK mb in the $125 to $150 range should do but if you have a low watt cheapo psu it would have to be replaced. If it was me I would not spend any more money on that system, it's too many generations old , I would save up and upgrade to a newer system , in the long run it would be cheaper and you would be much happier. jmho !

• Like 1

Any ASUS-GIGABYTE-MSI or ASROCK mb in the $125 to $150 range should do but if you have a low watt cheapo psu it would have to be replaced. If it was me I would not spend any more money on that system, it's too many generations old , I would save up and upgrade to a newer system , in the long run it would be cheaper and you would be much happier. jmho !

I'm just gonna keep on using this one as is and start building a i5 system, thank you so much for the advice! :D

• Like 1

Bad motherboard for overclocking. You can't do much with that board of yours.

I'm just gonna keep on using this one as is and start building a i5 system, thank you so much for the advice! :D

That is good plan.

Your RAM might also be limiting your OC, because you have it set at your timings of 7-7-7 when it's specc'd for CAS 9.

I already tried overclocking it with the RAM's Timings at 9-9-9-24 and no difference at all, so i o/c it to 7-7-7-20, it runs stable

According to SPD Jedec 9-9-9-24 is when it is running at 1333mhz frequency, i've tested everything and 3.37 ghz with 1136mhz (9.5x355) is the most i could get, unfortunately my motherboard wont boot if i try to o/c it to 1333mhz :(

• Like 1