PC does not boot

nichos

Hi,

Mobo:- Asus P5K Premium.

I have striped it down, clean the dust & rebuild it 3-4 times before with no problem but, this time will not boot. (PCU & cooler not removed this time)

The Mobo's gneen led comes ON but pressing the start button NOTHING happens.

EATX12V & EATXPWER conectors from the PSW are on tight & so is the cpu fan connector.

Any help will be apreciated         ........thanx       .........nick

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel,
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Vendetta Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Excelsior sata 250gb, OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu, X45, XPhome

Thanx all,

I have the box here in front of me, removed the front panel & the small cables & leds look glued & are not coming off, in the mobo all these wires are on long female socket that cannot go the wrong way on the pins.

What perplexed me from the start are the two sockets coming out of a PSU lead & each says PCU1 & PCU2 for which there is no visible socket on the mobo. But the PCU must be powered from its socket pins.

I cannot remember how I found them on disassembly but, for some reason I marked the one "L" for left???.

The other thing, if you think would stop it even trying to run or boot, is the battery which I will change with the one from the PC I write this as soon as I finish. ...................nick

Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel, Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Maxtor sata 160gb, OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu, X45, XPhome sp3

What perplexed me from the start are the two sockets coming out of a PSU lead & each says PCU1 & PCU2 for which there is no visible socket on the mobo. But the PCU must be powered from its socket pins.

hmm..could it be those 2 are your PCI E power cables? are you sure you plugged any of those at your 9800gtx?

edit:

9800gtx KO needs 2 of those 6pin PCI-E connectors just in case you "forgot" to plug it in.

Edited by sword_fish

Hi all again,

Thanx TripleX,

By process of elimination I found that the only connection that stops PSU & PCU fans to run is the EATX12V plug which has two plugs on same cable & both go into a 8pin socket on the mobo.

Without that, although the fans spin the HD does not run. Even changed the HD just in case.

My test meter across red & black of the power plug to the HD shows 25V. ...nick

I'm guessing you are referring to the sata power plug?  As Waco said, 25V is way out of whack.  Ground to red should be 5V +/- 5%.

I'd start by replacing the power supply.  While you're swapping that out, remove the motherboard battery and move the CMOS jumper pin to the Clear position.

Install new power supply, replace motherboard battery with a new one, and then move the CMOS jumper pin back to the Save position.

It might also be prudent to pull everything back out of the case and do your build on the bench.  I always do this as a first step for a) ease of access and b) to eliminate the possibility of any short between the motherboard and case.