Do audio cards make a huge difference?

kennethk

You could chop and change, I've turned a Corsair Vengeance 1600 USB headset into a 3.5mm jack that still retained full use of mic. Did it so my brother could use it with his ipad. Just cut off the USB processing/amp unit after identifying ground, L, R and Mic.

Eh too much of a hassle for me. Really I could see audio cards being used for studio equipment obviously still though if I want to switch to logitech z506 would I hear a difference? There has to be a good card out there under $100.

Its going to do sweet f all for a really cheap 5.1 set up like the z506. You're also not going to see any improvements unless there is something really inherently wrong with the onboard sound.

You'd be better of taking the extra money you wanted to spend on the z506 and getting something a bit better. Personally I would prefer a 2.0 or 2.1 setup maybe something like the Swan M10 which is arguably one of the best if not the best 2.1 set ups at its price point.

Its going to do sweet f all for a really cheap 5.1 set up like the z506. You're also not going to see any improvements unless there is something really inherently wrong with the onboard sound.

You'd be better of taking the extra money you wanted to spend on the z506 and getting something a bit better. Personally I would prefer a 2.0 or 2.1 setup maybe something like the Swan M10 which is arguably one of the best if not the best 2.1 set ups at its price point.

Yeah, you won't see much of an improvement over onboard if the speakers/headphones aren't good enough. A strong 2.0/2.1 like what Stoner mentioned would be preferred, as would getting some bookshelf speakers and making your own setup.

If you are unable to properly set up a 5.1 ie 30degrees and 110 degrees off center front and rears then you won't actually be able to experience it properly.

Secondly when you spending what is really a rather small amount why have that money split over lots of speakers with lots of cheap drivers. At the price point you're at my honest opinion is that you would get your best bang for buck from the Swan M10 2.1 setup.

Because they are amped you dont need any amping from the computer, same goes for the z506. Your headphones are already USB negating one of the biggest benifits of a soundcard, headphone amps. And for best quality I always like to bring the audio processing out of the PC tosomething like a USB or optical DAC or even via HDMI to a reciever.