4670k Overclocking trouble, need help from the experts

dodgems

Arctic Silver 5 is always a solid choice for thermal compound. Since you're hitting a thermal barrier, it wouldn't be a good idea to turn up the cpu voltage. It will only make the cpu run hotter. Have you tried running prime95 (~20min is always good) and using HWmonitor to check temps at 4.2ghz?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arctic Silver 5 is always a solid choice for thermal compound. Since you're hitting a thermal barrier, it wouldn't be a good idea to turn up the cpu voltage. It will only make the cpu run hotter. Have you tried running prime95 (~20min is always good) and using HWmonitor to check temps at 4.2ghz?

i will try that now, just went back to 4.0ghz and did intel burn test high setting run and my CPU supposedly (according to real temp) hit 97 degrees within a few seconds of the program running. I dont think my temp programs doing its job, because I dont think I could be reaching those temperatures and still havent crashed

Just went over 100 degrees, what is going on! Might take the chip back, if its running that hot at only 4.0ghz then there is definitely something wrong. Should my hyper 212 be screwed in as tightly as possible?

Man, those temps are through the roof. How's the rest of the ventilation on the case? I have my 4770k @ 4.4ghz daily with hyper-threading on and float around in the mid 70s. That is with a self contained water setup though..

Man, those temps are through the roof. How's the rest of the ventilation on the case? I have my 4770k @ 4.4ghz daily with hyper-threading on and float around in the mid 70s. That is with a self contained water setup though..

I know right, have never gotten temps so high on any other CPU I have owned. Prime95 will only get me to about 65 ish but that intel burn test on high just pushes the temps overboard. I have a fractal design r4 with only one fan fitted at the front, and a rear case fan to let heat out, would fitting a second fan help do you think?

a good airflow can shave 10c off, so a few extra fans wouldn't hurt.

have you checked if you can get 4.0ghz with lower voltages?

Edited by WarWeeny

a good airflow can shave 10c off, so a few extra fans wouldn't hurt.

have you checked if you can get 4.0ghz with lower voltages?

I shall order another fan :) Also, what voltage decrease incrememnts should I try. On 1.2V right now :) thank you

You could try different fan configurations with the Hyper 212 Evo.  Push w/one fan, pull w/one fan, push / pull with two fans etc.  I read an in-depth user test on the Evo 212+ early last year and the best results were actually with a single fan in pull configuration, heat sink horizontal (blowing out the rear of the case) with no rear exhaust fan at the back of the case obstructing air flow out of the case.  The study seemed counter-intuitive to me, but the user had multiple test runs to confirm his findings.  Fans used were Cooler Master Sickle Flows.

You can play with the fans and might squeeze 1-3C improvement, but your biggest net gain will be by delidding the processor - which of course will void your warranty.

Also, what voltage decrease incrememnts should I try. On 1.2V right now :) thank you

As granular as available.  Example; if your BIOS allows +/- .005 then test 1.195V, rinse and repeat until you get a BSOD or lock up.

Will do that now! Also as another unrelated query, save me startiing a new thread, as my pc gets into login screen the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive for around 30 seconds. So my computer starts up quickly but almost pointless because I can't login til the mouse and keyboard respond. Any ideas

Also, what voltage decrease incrememnts should I try. On 1.2V right now :) thank you

As granular as available.  Example; if your BIOS allows +/- .005 then test 1.195V, rinse and repeat until you get a BSOD or lock up.

Im down to 1.18v at 4.2ghz now and is running max of 84 degrees on "maximum" setting on intel burn test and only 60 degrees on prime95. Looking promising so far :) Thanks for suggestions. Ill keep dropping voltage til it becomes unstable

Im down to 1.18v at 4.2ghz now and is running max of 84 degrees on "maximum" setting on intel burn test and only 60 degrees on prime95. Looking promising so far :) Thanks for suggestions. Ill keep dropping voltage til it becomes unstable

most of the time new overclockers put way to much voltage in the chip that isnt needed, hope you can get more off the voltage.

dont be unsatisfied with 4.0/4.2ghz tho, it is still enough and oc isnt a given, it is a bonus.

i would rather have a 4.0ghz chip on 70c max than a 4.2ghz chip on 80c max. but thats me ;P

personally, i would say prime95 is a better indication of how hot your chip will be than intelburn test.

i tried both and when gaming i never go above what prime95 gave me (even better, it never came to the point what prime gave me) on stresstests, intelburn test went way to hot and should only be used to test watercooling if you ask me.

Edited by WarWeeny