4670k Overclocking trouble, need help from the experts

dodgems

Hey all, just found this forum and had a read around over the past week in hopes of overclocking my 4670k successfully. I am basically brand new to this and don't 100 percent know what settings I am even looking at because they seem to be named differently on my asrock board compared to some guides I have seen. Anyway down to business, I am trying to get a stable overclock of atleast 4.2ghz but no matter what settings I try, prime95 will crash within seconds of starting a test, before temps even get past the 45 degree mark. Here are some pics, chances are I am doing something horribly wrong. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

post-117970-0-45522900-1377566379_thumb.jpgpost-117970-0-22336100-1377566388_thumb.jpgpost-117970-0-93926800-1377566395_thumb.jpgpost-117970-0-12369200-1377566403_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to OCC! If you could post your complete computer specs, it would help a lot.

I'd start by setting your bios back to the factory default settings. Once you've reset I'd start with these settings.

CPU Ratio (All Cores): 40

CPU Voltage Override: 1.2v

DRAM Frequency > Manual > 1600 (Assuming you have RAM capable of this setting)

Depending on what memory you have I'd set the "DRAM Voltage" manually to the manufacturers recommended voltage.

I would check for stability at 4ghz and increase the ratio by 1 until you're unstable. I'd then try to set the CPU voltage to 1.25 and continue pushing on.

Edited by FUZi0N

Thanks for replies guys! here is my full specs

LiteON SATA DVD-RW 24X Black

G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 RL 9-9-9-24(CL9D-8GBRL)

SilverStone ST75F-P 750W Power Supply

Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache 1

Samsung S22B300B LED 21.5" Wide, 1920x1080, 5ms, DVI, D-sub

Fractal Design Define R4 USB3.0 Mid Tower Case Black

Samsung 120GB SSD 840 Series SATA III 6Gbs 2xnm Toggle DDR 2.0 NAND 3-Core MDX Controller, 256MB

Sapphire ATI HD 7970 OC EDITION V2 PCI-E 3.0, 3GB 384-bit GDDR5, 1000/5800 Mhz, D-DVI, HDMI, 2x

Intel Core i5 4670K LGA1150 CPU 3.4Ghz 6Mb Cache Haswell

ASRock Z87-EXTREME3, Socket 1150, 4x DDR 3 Slots, 2x PCIE x16, 1x PCI-E x1, 3x PCI, 6x SATAIII,

I am only using a hyper 212 EVO, but supposedly i should be able to achieve a comfortable 4.4 with that I have been told, this forum might have a different opinion though. Thanks for the welcome and instructions, i shall try those settings the second I get home :)

Welcome to OCC! If you could post your complete computer specs, it would help a lot.

I'd start by setting your bios back to the factory default settings. Once you've reset I'd start with these settings.

CPU Ratio (All Cores): 40

CPU Voltage Override: 1.2v

DRAM Frequency > Manual > 1600 (Assuming you have RAM capable of this setting)

Depending on what memory you have I'd set the "DRAM Voltage" manually to the manufacturers recommended voltage.

I would check for stability at 4ghz and increase the ratio by 1 until you're unstable. I'd then try to set the CPU voltage to 1.25 and continue pushing on.

I set to those settings and booted into windows all good, I am using intel burn test on Very High settings to stress test (not sure what I should be using entirely). I did reach temps of 89 using RealTempGT though, I think thats quite high, not 100 percent sure for Haswells. 

On a side note, I didn't wipe the old thermal past off my CPU before applying the new stuff before putting the hyper 212 evo on. Would doing that make a difference because I still have some thermal paste left. How exactly should I apply it this time round to make sure I do it 100 percent correct :)

I personally use HWMonitor to check my temperatures, others may know of better free solutions. I'd definitely make sure to replace the thermal compound on your cooler. Clean both the cooler and the CPU really well, I use the small alcohol pads you can find in a pharmacy. Then apply a small BB size glob in the center of the CPU. Have you tried upping the CPU ratio and checking for stability? Keep us updated.

applyingpaste.jpg

I personally use HWMonitor to check my temperatures, others may know of better free solutions. I'd definitely make sure to replace the thermal compound on your cooler. Clean both the cooler and the CPU really well, I use the small alcohol pads you can find in a pharmacy. Then apply a small BB size glob in the center of the CPU. Have you tried upping the CPU ratio and checking for stability? Keep us updated.

applyingpaste.jpg

Thanks for reply! I shall try cleaning the fan base and cpu and reapplying thermal paste. Right now I think im stable at 4.0ghz, I can run intel burn test for 10 runs without going over 88 degrees so i think id go over 90 if I put it up anymore, maybe I have a dud cpu? 

Haswell (and IB) run very hot if the CPU isn't delidded.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable running my CPU at 88C for very long.

If you don't use Hyperthreading you can disable it, your loaded CPU temps will fall.

You definitely need to pull the Hyper, clean both the CPU IHS and Hyper really well.  Apply a good quality thermal paste and re-mount.

I cleaned the thermal paste and re applied some new and that has lowered the temps by about 4 degrees both on load and idle :) I am going to pump it up to 4.2ghz now, do i need to change the voltage or anything else yet?

4.2ghz was unsuccessful. Way too much heat :( hit 90 running intel burn test within the first run. I think I have a dud cpu for overclocking perhaps. Which is a shame, anything I can try to get the temps down a bit?

Would better thermal paste make much of a difference?