The Origin Great Game Guarantee

ClayMeow

I never thought Origin would one-up Steam, but EA has managed to do something truly excellent:

Introducing The Origin Great Game Guarantee

We know that feeling: the one where you sit down, wait for a new game to finish downloading and installing, start it for the first time, and want it to rock. The intro sucks you in, you press a button to shoot, jump, or talk for the first time, and then it's suddenly three a.m. We know that feeling, and the one afterwards of knowing that not only does a game rock, but that it was worth every dollar you spent on it.

We hope every game you play on Origin will meet this high bar, and we're happy to say that starting today, we can guarantee that we'll make things right if you decide the game you just bought didn

I support this. Even better than Google Play refund policy. I may just preorder BF4 and Titanfall from them. Cancelling Steam preorders is like snail mail with support tickets. Hopefully this will be much different, perhaps more automated.

I support this. Even better than Google Play refund policy. I may just preorder BF4 and Titanfall from them. Cancelling Steam preorders is like snail mail with support tickets. Hopefully this will be much different, perhaps more automated.

Not automatic, as they'll be monitoring for abuse.

"You will get a response within forty-eight (48) hours after your request is submitted and your refund within seven (7) to ten (10) days if you meet the Great Game Guarantee refund requirements."

But still a pretty quick turn-around.

Even with the wait to get a refund, if approved, this is a pretty fantastic way to support a return policy on PC games. I mean, with Steam if you don't like a game it's basically yours forever. At least EA is trying to be like "well if you don't like after all the hype, we'll let you return it instead."

To be fair to Valve, EA probably has a larger support team who can respond to these requests quickly, and speed will be of the essence for any service like this.

That being said though, good job EA! Hopefully the Origin servers do not crash as people try to use this.

Even with the wait to get a refund, if approved, this is a pretty fantastic way to support a return policy on PC games. I mean, with Steam if you don't like a game it's basically yours forever. At least EA is trying to be like "well if you don't like after all the hype, we'll let you return it instead."

Yep exactly.

What's really interesting is that if all you care about is single-player, many games can be completed in well less than 24 hours. For example, maybe you've played the first two Crysis games and only care about finishing the trilogy's story - Crysis 3 is supposedly rather short, so you can get it, beat it, and then refund it.

Of course if you do this a lot, they'll flag you as abuse, but you could still get away with this action at least once or twice. That's not to say I approve of doing that - I actually think they should implement story achievements in all their games and if the "end boss achievement" is attained, no refund will be provided.

I would expect now or in the near future they will implement a time limit, to prevent people from completing and refunding digital games. Of course it may only be 1% of all Origin users who may abuse the system like that, but it still seems reasonable to me that if you would not play a game for five hours, and only then decide to refund it.

Of course if you do this a lot, they'll flag you as abuse, but you could still get away with this action at least once or twice. That's not to say I approve of doing that - I actually think they should implement story achievements in all their games and if the "end boss achievement" is attained, no refund will be provided.

Achievements are a smart idea. When those were first added on Origin, I was like "wait, what is this number below my username?" :lol: Basically all the Mass Effect 3 achievements I had already earned in-game were there, just for others to see, too. If those get added to all the Origin games then it'd be an effective way to check who is trying to game the system.

This is what I've been wanting from Steam for so long. If made some impulse purchases before that I immediately regret after.

And I've been using Origins for BF3 and ME3, and while it's not optimal, I think some of the hate it receives is unjust. It is not that bad.

I've actually gone and added the Dragon Age games as well as Mass Effect 2 to Origin just so I don't have to grab the disc whenever I want to play those. Convenient to have that option, and honestly, I don't even notice Origin running when I'm playing those games. There's the little popup letting you know how to access Origin in-game, but then Steam has that too (and Raptr/Xfire if you use those). Origin in-game is kind of slow and dodgy at times, so I prefer to just use Raptr in-game or just Alt-Tab if I need to.

I mean sure, there's still room for Origin to improve, but Steam wasn't all roses and sunshine right away either. It was built up over time, and EA should be able to do something similar with Origin. This game guarantee is something Steam frankly doesn't have, but hey, Steam has trading cards so, yeah, there's that.