ASUS ROG Maximus VI Extreme Reviewed

Bosco

It was a good read. I do have a question. Was 4.75ghz the max the chip can do or the motherboard?

Having not played with a i7 4770k yet, I'm not sure what the physical limit of the cpu is vs what a motherboard can do. Like if 4.8ghz is the max any 4770k can do, than I guess, if you could describe how easy it was to hit that limit. Example: I've had my share of MB that it was a pain to hit a certain mark but the next brand/board worked like butter. Was this a simliar case being a Asus board. I never had issues overclocking a cpu yet with a Asus board.

It was a good read. I do have a question. Was 4.75ghz the max the chip can do or the motherboard?

Having not played with a i7 4770k yet, I'm not sure what the physical limit of the cpu is vs what a motherboard can do. Like if 4.8ghz is the max any 4770k can do, than I guess, if you could describe how easy it was to hit that limit. Example: I've had my share of MB that it was a pain to hit a certain mark but the next brand/board worked like butter. Was this a simliar case being a Asus board. I never had issues overclocking a cpu yet with a Asus board.

From what small amount of information I've gathered since I bought my 4770k, it's all limited on the quality of the Haswell chip plus your cooling solution. I watched a very informative video actually by newegg with a ASUS rep. It helped me understand the functions of the board and some great information about haswell.

My Chip is a 4.7Ghz chip for the most part. I cannot boot it at 4.8 on any other board but this one and 4.8 is stable enough to run some benches before the thermals cause it to start throttleing so it may have more potential if I delid it. For the most part that puts it in the vast minority of chips out there. My retail sample is a 4.55Ghz stable chip on this board no matter what I do. My retail chip will not boot with a cache ratio of higher than 44 yet I can run 1-1 on the ES.

There are chips that will do 5.0Ghz but when you look at LinX or Prime stability most of the chips out there are in the 4.5 to 4.7 range. Heat under the lid is the problem. There is only so much surface area on the die so its really not that the cooling solutions are bad it just cannot shed enough heat through the IHS.

From what small amount of information I've gathered since I bought my 4770k, it's all limited on the quality of the Haswell chip plus your cooling solution. I watched a very informative video actually by newegg with a ASUS rep. It helped me understand the functions of the board and some great information about haswell.

JJ's videos give a lot of good advice and he knows his stuff better than any other manufacturer rep out there IMHO. The clock speeds vary widely between chips even with same batch codes.

Yes it does. You not only get the feature set but you really do get a well built product without issues due to the back end work they do. The feedback they get in forums on what the end users are looking for as well is really second to none. Dont get me wrong I have seen some really great boards from other camps but consistency and moving the bar higher are the keys.