The Sims 4

ClayMeow

1376597328-ts4-logo.png

The Sims 4 Description

The Sims 4 is the highly anticipated life simulation game that lets you play with life like never before. Create and control new Sims with mind, body, and heart. Build their unique worlds. Direct and explore the stories of your Sims and experience delightful and exciting results.

Create and control the most intelligent and relatable Sims ever with new, intuitive design tools. Customize your Sims

I used to play The Sims and The Sims 2 all the time in college - I mostly liked just building houses and modding my own stuff. Now that The Sims 3 is in the current Humble Bundle, I'll have to play with that.

As such, what really has me excited is the following:

"New Creative Tools

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in love with The Sims, but I just don't understand how ANYONE can afford to play it, expansion after expansion.

Your average Sims game seems to produce 7 ~ 9 expansions over its lifetime, which is around 3 years, give or take. That doesn't include the Stuff Packs.

Your average gamer drops money on somewhere around 5 games a year (at full price, this might even be a little generous given the frequency of sales nowadays).

Based on this, how can anyone afford to play The Sims without surrendering the entirety of their free time and budget for other games as well? The expansions are so expensive!

I'm in love with The Sims, but I just don't understand how ANYONE can afford to play it, expansion after expansion.

Your average Sims game seems to produce 7 ~ 9 expansions over its lifetime, which is around 3 years, give or take. That doesn't include the Stuff Packs.

Your average gamer drops money on somewhere around 5 games a year (at full price, this might even be a little generous given the frequency of sales nowadays).

Based on this, how can anyone afford to play The Sims without surrendering the entirety of their free time and budget for other games as well? The expansions are so expensive!

Because the only ones who need the expansions are those investing so much time into it that it's worth it. In the end, it's really no different than those willing to spend over $100/yr for WoW.

I played The Sims and Sims 2, but I never bought an expansion - there was plenty of content to supply me with more than enough gameplay, especially with modding. But if someone is putting in a lot of time into the game(s) and feels an expansion or two provides them with additional content they want, then why not buy it?

True. I suppose I am mostly seeing it through my own eyes and not taking into perspective how others might see it.

I think the biggest problem for me is the feeling of incompleteness. I'm perfectly happy playing the base game when it first releases, but then come the expansions (usually while I'm short on money) and I'm behind again  :P And then it bothers me.

Ah, if only I didn't get so hooked on my uncles bootleg copy of Hot Date over a decade ago... And more importantly where did that time even go? Yikes!

I think I'll definitely be picking up The Sims 4 though. What impresses me the most so far is how Sims now display a much more dynamic range of emotions. I wonder how well EA will implement that mechanic?

Edited by Viexi

I think I'll definitely be picking up The Sims 4 though. What impresses me the most so far is how Sims now display a much more dynamic range of emotions. I wonder how well EA will implement that mechanic?

Sorry I didn't post this the other day, but here's some info on how emotion is definitely the focus in Sims 4:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/25/the-sims-4-goes-for-emotional-depth

I owned the first and second, was jealous when my mom got the third. Just got the third in the humble bundle...but don't think I'll be ready to pay what EA will want for the fourth right away. :P

• 8 months later...