Batman: Arkham Origins

ClayMeow

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Review Round-up

Pretty good marks. One 6, but otherwise 7s and above. The 6 (GameSpot) knocks the game for basically being more of the same from Arkham City, so I'm not sure that's really a bad thing.

Gamespot has no credibility since they were caught inflating advertisers scores. I just bought it and it is downloading on steam.  If it is identical to AC and AA I would still play it.  It's one of those games I feel doesn't need to change much to work.

Edited by InCrYsIs

I would imagine being identical to the past games is a compliment considering it's a brand new developer.

I'll be getting the game at some point before long. Going to wait a bit for now.

Jim Sterling gave it a 3.5/10. Can't say that i agree with him, but at this stage i'm only a couple of hours in. I got sidetracked chasing collectibles.

Early impressions:

• Combat feels off. Initially i thought it was because i was a bit rusty having not played AC in quite some time. But Bats doesn't seem to target as well and the timing doesn't appear to flow as well as prior installments.
  • Frame rate drops when more than 8 enemies on screen at once which happens rather frequently (PS3 version)
  • Multiplayer. Tacked on and unnecessary. Not to mention microtransactions like Mass Effect 3. Tried to play it around this time last night. sat in a lobby for 25mins before i gave up
  • Villain list seems C & D list. Admittedly AA & AC ran through all the mainstream villains and Origins is stuck between a rock & a hard place in rehashing some of them for a 3rd time vs having less known villains.
  • Enigma (Riddler) collectibles again! some of them have almost identical challenges to collect them as what was in AC
  • Sections of map re-used from AC
  • Prequel yet has gadgets not used in subsequent games. On flipside has some gadgets unlocked from start that were progression upgrades in AA or AC
  • 4 $%^&ing codes to redeem preorder / collectors edition content (skins & deathstroke maps)

so far feels more of a 6. No glaring technical problems (aside from the frame rate drops) so far. But it feels like more of the same and doesn't really feel different enough from the previous entries. Very hard to see where to improve the franchise going forward but also very hard to see value in another title without any inovation