New Steam Badges, Cards and Ratings

Stonerboy779

Just wondering what people thought of the new Steam systems. The new Badges and Cards gained from all sorts of things like total number of games, in game achievements and not just the years of service and game sales.

No longer a rating system for hours played, been ages since we've has a system of Screaming Egales and what not but the new system ties in now with the new Badges and cards.

Any thoughts? Anyone not noticed it yet?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clay, myself, and I believe a few others were in the beta for it. It's neat, but honestly I see no point to the cards. I have sold a couple of the Portal 2 duplicates I got, so apparently some people do see a point since I have a bit more in my Steam Wallet now. :lol:

Now, the revamped rating system is a nice touch, with the XP and levels. It's good to see Valve adding a bit more to it, like you said, so that's something.

Here's hoping I can a bit of shit change then haha but it does seem very strange and annoying because well I've pretty much beaten a lot of the games that currently have cards and have no real desire to replay then to get something that's not that fantastic. May find a few hours to just beat portal though since it takes no time at all

I wish the XP/ratings were tied in more with Steam Achievements than these stupid random Trading Cards. I don't want to spend all day gaming the marketplace. It's annoying because all I want it a profile background, but I don't feel like fussing with trading/marketplace just to get the cards I need to craft. They should have at least provided some free profile backgrounds. Not like I haven't spent enough money on Steam :rolleyes:

I've pretty much beaten a lot of the games that currently have cards and have no real desire to replay then to get something that's not that fantastic. May find a few hours to just beat portal though since it takes no time at all

you don't necessarily have to replay them. the game needs to be running but you dont need to be at the keys  ;) 

I wish the XP/ratings were tied in more with Steam Achievements than these stupid random Trading Cards. I don't want to spend all day gaming the marketplace.

:withstupid:

I hate them but yet i cant stop collecting them :teehee: . kinda wish they dropped from achievements instead of complete randomness. also sucks the games that drop exactly half the total set (i.e. 3 out of 6 vs 3 out of 5) IMO it discourages trading. like you would with physical cards.

I've pretty much beaten a lot of the games that currently have cards and have no real desire to replay then to get something that's not that fantastic. May find a few hours to just beat portal though since it takes no time at all

you don't necessarily have to replay them. the game needs to be running but you dont need to be at the keys  ;)

Now that is some useful information, I left my game on the main menu while I was sleeping and got 3 cards. :D

Can't say I'm fond of the idea of trading cards on here but I have sold one so far so I guess it's kind of nice.

Im having fun selling the cards, I can't believe someone would give me $.25 for something worthless. I'll just keep selling them as I get them. I also was doing a simliar thing in Diablo 3, ended up making about $15 from selling items.

I wish the XP/ratings were tied in more with Steam Achievements than these stupid random Trading Cards. I don't want to spend all day gaming the marketplace.

:withstupid:

I hate them but yet i cant stop collecting them :teehee: . kinda wish they dropped from achievements instead of complete randomness. also sucks the games that drop exactly half the total set (i.e. 3 out of 6 vs 3 out of 5) IMO it discourages trading. like you would with physical cards.

That's exactly how I feel - it should have been tied with achievements, similar to how the first few TF2 class updates had the weapon unlocks tied to achievements. Doing so would actually encourage people to PLAY the games rather than simply idle in menus (as was suggested in this thread). Or at the very least, tie it into the chance for a booster pack - like if you attain a certain percent of the game's achievements, you increase your chance of a booster pack by a certain amount. Anything other than complete randomness.

PS. I've gotten one Booster Pack so far - Binding of Isaac. Wound up with two dupes though. meh.

You don't even really have to have the game window active, I just have them open in the background while I do other stuff. Made $0.55 so far. :D

Edit: I think there could actually be money to be made at this, a person could even buy a game right now and sell the cards to make a profit. I'm seeing Faerie Solitaire cards going for more than the game costs. :lol:

Edited by Deathmineral