What memory OC is faster ?

alonbl

It could be I guess. Memory comes rated at certain speeds for two reasons. A) That is the highest speed because of the chips or B) Changed to fit into a market that is needed. If they found that the same chips run at 1.35v than it would be sold as a new package. If you needed speical chips to run at 1.35v than boosting the voltage could cause issues. Really the only way to know for sure is find out the chip number and see if its used in any other series / model.

It will take same digging but im sure some website lists all that. It was a big thing for DDR2, I would buy the cheapest set using good indix chips and overclock them like crazy. Saved a ton of money. Now like Waco said memory is not link to the CPU anymore so it comes down to extra FPS for real world. Basically unless you are trying to set  a world record makes no difference, even 1 frame you cannot see.

edit: I would take ccokes word that it rarely has any realworld benfit. That man has tested everything under the sun.

I see... but I can also run mine at 8-8-8-24 without volt change so is it safer?

Beside, I saw people overvolting their 1.5 memory to 1.65.

Edited by alonbl

I see... but I can also run mine at 8-8-8-24 without volt change so is it safer?

Beside, I saw people overvolting their 1.5 memory to 1.65.

You won't burn out any DDR3 with 1.65 volts.

Any time you run anything outside of it's design tolerances there is a risk.  But as Waco pointed out there is almost NIL chance that you will damage your memory up to 1.65v

Now, I'm a cautious type so I wouldn't personally run my 1.35v memory at 1.65v for 24/7 - but I wouldn't have any problems running it at 1.5v for 24/7, and I wouldn't worry at all about overclocking it from 1600Mhz to 1866Mhz.  The key is stability, and if you're stable then you're good to go.

But back to ccokeman's point, there isn't a massive benefit from DDR3 1600Mhz to DDR3 1866Mhz.  I've had this argument dozens of times over at another forum and the fact is that there is little evidence that running anything over 1600Mhz is of great benefit in anything but benchmarks and epeens.

All chips are rated at 1.65v because of the JEDEC DDR3 spec unless something has changed recently. "1.35v" memory is just well-binned 1.65v stuff.

In testing it's torture tested at over 2v to pull out early failures at well.

As for speed - like ccokeman and wevsspot noted there's almost no real differences in speed for almost any speed rating.

Isn't it "technically" bad for the IMC to run over 1.5V on an Intel processor though?? The RAM itself should be fine but what about the IMC in the 3770K??

1.5v is the Intel design spec. for vdimm on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge (+/- 5%)

So "technically" running 1.65vdimm is out of spec., but trust me there are literally millions of people around the planet running 1.65vdimm on their SB and IB platforms.  Don't worry about it.