Need advice on buying a video card

Jeff1213

The 7850 would cost about 208 usd. I got the 7870 today, I was planning to get the 7850 but I got this instead because the 7850 were out of stock. This 7870 would cost about $261, was it a good deal? I tried the video card earlier and it was really satisfying. It's really fast and smooth at high resolution and max settings on AC3. Only problem I got is... It needs two 6 pin power connector, which my PSU lacks. What I did to make it work was to use two 6pin to 4pin splitter, but since I got only 2 4pins left on my PSU, the fan won't work properly and it freezed while I was play testing AC3. I know its stupid and reckless. Now my problem is, what PSU to get?

Additional Info: What I got is the PCS+ 7870 Myst Edition.

Edited by Jeff1213

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a thermaltake 450watts. It was included in my chassis.

:sick:

If you don't have any plan to run crossfire in future, then a simple PSU like Corsair GS600 would be best choice for you.

Although I can't find that in the site that you have linked earlier, but I'm sure that you can find it in other online dealers.

Depending on the game you play the GTX 660 and 7850 both deliver a higher FPS in games that are better supported. Look at some reviews that feature the games you play and see where the performance is for each brand.

It's a thermaltake 450watts. It was included in my chassis.

:sick:

If you don't have any plan to run crossfire in future, then a simple PSU like Corsair GS600 would be best choice for you.

Although I can't find that in the site that you have linked earlier, but I'm sure that you can find it in other online dealers.

@d6bmg Oh,okay, But what would you recommend for running crossfire?

Depending on the game you play the GTX 660 and 7850 both deliver a higher FPS in games that are better supported. Look at some reviews that feature the games you play and see where the performance is for each brand.

@ccokeman I see. I had insufficient balance for the 660 and the 7850 were out of stock yesterday. It's okay though, since I am satisfied with this card. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Jeff1213

You need a good 650 or 700Watt PSU to run HD7870 crossfire.

Cheapest option being Corsair TX750.

Other options are:

1. Corsair HX750

2. Seasonic X760

3. Corsair AX750.

There are countless good or better models. Just make sure you buy any PSU which have at least 80+ Bronze certification or better.

I have really learned a lot over the years regarding graphics cards, as usual learning the hard way after purchase. So here are a few tips. The power supply needs to be of adequate wattage plus you need to know what the amps are on the 12v rail/or rails, there are high wattage PSU's with inadequate amp's on the 12v rails. Know exactly what watt's/amp's the graphics card needs. As you seem to indicate having DDR5 memory is essential for speed, and is the point where things really start to change. The size of the memory capacity such as 512gb,1gb, 2gb, is really only for larger & larger displays/or multiple displays respectively. The numerical Radeon type designation actually means something, like 7950, telling frames per second within.

Intel & Nvidia, AMD & Radeon, pairing seems to have best compatibilitys for each other, and the drivers & software reflect that. Stick with top name brands, as these companys tweak the chip, and install oversize fans..ex. XFX always uses oversize fans. The top brands always have the best drivers, and utility software. The power connectors on the graphics card also require previous knowledge of your power supply connector availability. If you have an older motherboard x16 slot, and a brand new graphics card with x16 3.0, it will stepped down to 2.0 for the older motherboard for example, therefore wasting its abilities.

There is nothing like a great graphics card in your PC...have fun!

Intel & Nvidia, AMD & Radeon, pairing seems to have best compatibilitys for each other, and the drivers & software reflect that.

I've never had a problem mixing Intel and AMD/ATI or AMD and Nvidia.

Intel & Nvidia, AMD & Radeon, pairing seems to have best compatibilitys for each other, and the drivers & software reflect that.
 I've never had a problem mixing Intel and AMD/ATI or AMD and Nvidia.

:withstupid:

I've been running Intel & AMD for a couple generations now and I had built an AMD/Nvidia budget gamer for my cousin (nothing could touch how awesome her computer had been for the money)