Light Painting / Night Photography

ir_cow

Hey all,

I was out with one of my classmates the other day helping him on his advance photo research project. I tagged along with my camera seeing if I could understand what he was doing since I haven't done these type of light painting or long exposures. It was lots of fun and he invited me back for more crazy things later in the week. We used glow sticks and also light steel wool on fire for lots of sparks :) The sad thing was I focus my lens the wrong way so everyting has a slight blur, next time i'll be more careful.

anyways I thought I would share showing my settings and if anyone wants a full rez version just PM me.

Click the Picture for the Flash Gallery or HERE

IMG_1937.jpg

in the gallery each photo tells you the settings but basically the fomula I got from it was low ISO (like 100-200) mid apature (like F4- F6) and explosure of 20-30 seconds. These were done in the dark, I kept tripping over rocks because I couldn't see anything. I have test shot where I set the ISO to 800 and it was almost like day time. because of the high noise from longer exposures and the city glow it didn't look very nice.

I used to do this too with my old P&S camera, so my options were only 3 seconds of exposure.

Still did some neat things, but it is much better with the ability to do any amount of exposure at any aperature and and any ISO.