Random lag while gaming

Onion

That is really hot for a CPU.  GPUs can actually run hotter than CPUs can.

So does the slowdown happen every time you play regardless of what time of day you play at?  And what processes do you have running in the background while you play?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is really hot for a CPU.  GPUs can actually run hotter than CPUs can.

So does the slowdown happen every time you play regardless of what time of day you play at?  And what processes do you have running in the background while you play?

The i7 I have goes pretty high without problems though, folding kicks it up to almost 110 and it doesn't throttle itself. 

I'm not sure if it depends on the time of day, I only played the games last night lol. Background processes are steam, skype, antivirus, beats audio drivers, and that's about it. 

It could have been your AV, but I would have cut Skype off for sure if I was gaming.   Or possibly folding if you leave that on 24/7.

And 110C... W T F!  Glad I'm not on IB.  The highest I have hit is 50C, and since summer is coming up I will probably hit it again.  What do you have your rig OC'd to?

What it really sounds like is your CPU is stuck in an infinite loop trying to process something.

Edited by Fogel

It could have been your AV, but I would have cut Skype off for sure if I was gaming. Or possibly folding if you leave that on 24/7.

And 110C... W T F! Glad I'm not on IB. The highest I have hit is 50C, and since summer is coming up I will probably hit it again. What do you have your rig OC'd to?

What it really sounds like is your CPU is stuck in an infinite loop trying to process something.

I'll try disabling the antivirus and killing Skype. I used to game before on this same computer and I had no issues with skyrim and saints row. No more folding for me, I didn't want to run my rig that hot lop.

Pull up Task Manager when you do and watch the CPU.  If it stays at 100% cpu usage steady than something is not fully processing all the way and its stuck.

I have heard of glitches in GTA IV and it being poorly optimized so it very well could be the game so try a different game, like Skyrim again for example.  I don't know anyone playing Hitman so no clue how optimized it is.  If you can duplicate the problem in GTA IV, close it noticing CPU usage returns to normal, and then launch Skyrim (or some other game) without a reboot with no issues than it is most likely the game.  If Skyrim exhibits the problem than it is probably a system issue.  In both cases it might be fixed with updated software to the system, but typically if its the CPU getting pegged its not always a simple driver fix.

As a test (and if your BIOS options will allow it) - temporarily disable HT and see if you still experience lag.

As someone else mentioned, I'd also try the latest 314 series gpu driver.  

intel said it's safe up to 105C : http://ark.intel.com/products/64899#infosectionessentials

but it seems i wont do it with my laptop :no: will try to seek for solutions to lower my temps atleast like the ones they had suggested above. and time for dust cleaning or using a cooling pad perhaps.

yet i google'd it and found out that you're just one of those who's hitting the high bars with that chip.

I just played for like 10-15 minutes just now. I tried Hitman. No lag since the driver update for the GPU. CPU peaked at 105 on all cores, GPU peaked at 93 but was usually in the low 80s. I'll try GTA now and play a little longer to see how it goes. So far so good. 

I thought you said on the previous page you already dated the gpu drivers and still had the problem.  Guess I misunderstood.   Either way, glad it is working so far!

I thought you said on the previous page you already dated the gpu drivers and still had the problem.  Guess I misunderstood.   Either way, glad it is working so far!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant that I had updated them but not tried gaming on them yet. I just did a short round of GTA and got the same CPU temps and only 1 Celsius more on the GPU, bringing me up to 94. I did notice that it seems to throttle itself and gradually clock all the way back up to 725 mhz. I experienced some lag towards the end of the level I was playing. It was harder to play, nearly unplayable. 

2s5pw.jpg