Problem: Recovering a computer from a Windows Image

cjloki

Any progress CJ?

It won't help now, but for future reference....  I quit using the Microsoft Backup Utility a long while ago.  I  use either Acronis True Image or Comodo Backup.  If you have a WD hard drive in your machine you can grab the WD True Image Home utility for free  :)

Comodo Backup also has a free version.  Both of these utilities work really well and I highly recommend both of them.

oh hey ok,...yep, i think this is gonna work,...i copied the image to the external like i planned to, and started the "recover an image created earlier" all over again,....this time the windowsimagebackup folder WAS found and recognized !,...then i was able to restart with the system repair disk and begin the reformat and restore process on the raid set....hooray ! it's working even as i type !!,.... now barring any unforeseen circumstances in a few hours i should have my server back on line !!

it looks to me like if the image is created on the root of the backup device and in the windowsimagebackup folder, then windows can see it...otherwise you get the error message...

Any progress CJ?

It won't help now, but for future reference....  I quit using the Microsoft Backup Utility a long while ago.  I  use either Acronis True Image or Comodo Backup.  If you have a WD hard drive in your machine you can grab the WD True Image Home utility for free   :)

Comodo Backup also has a free version.  Both of these utilities work really well and I highly recommend both of them.

i will get into those after this is finished rebuilding,....thank you jerry !

Glad that the re-imaging process is finally working.  And, now that you mention it, that problem when trying to restore from the root sounds strangely familiar to me  :)

At any rate, if you've been using the built in backup utility without issue and you have confidence in it, then there isn't a compelling reason to try anything different.  I started using Acronis primarily for drive swaps and never looked back.