Refurbished HDDs; What's your stance?

d3athsd00r

I doubt that a hard drive ever really gets refurbished.  More likely is that it's an unused return being sold as a refurb.  They usually have the warranty, so hell yes!

Exactly! Repair cost, specially in case of major repairs, could be as high as real cost of the drive..

Refurbished is usually returned items that can't be sold as new, so at worst they get EXTRA QC checks and they usually do not recieve any superficial repairs, so they are good deals if you don't need that new _____ smell. That said, a refurbished piece of crap product is not going to lead to different results than the same piece of crap product if it was new.

one of the wd cav black 500's in the raid set in the office/server/gamer in the sig is a refurb,....been going strong for over 5 years...

As sketchy as a refurbished HDD can be, I would definitely steer clear of the WD Green series regardless.

Whats wrong with green drives? they serve their purpose well, if it doesn't suit your needs then fine but don't see anything wrong with the drives themselves.

Used/refurb hdd's are fine by me. Usually do a pc-check on a drive if its used though just to be sure..

Well my buddy Quack bought a 1TB green drive and it kept freezing up his computer trying to save power. He had a hard time disabling all the bs.

I doubt that a hard drive ever really gets refurbished.  More likely is that it's an unused return being sold as a refurb.  They usually have the warranty, so hell yes!

^This, often these drives were returned and never used and may be retested rigorously!

As sketchy as a refurbished HDD can be, I would definitely steer clear of the WD Green series regardless.

Whats wrong with green drives? they serve their purpose well, if it doesn't suit your needs then fine but don't see anything wrong with the drives themselves.

Used/refurb hdd's are fine by me. Usually do a pc-check on a drive if its used though just to be sure..

+1

Yeah Green and Barracuda LP drives are just fine, you'll never actually see the slower spindle speed being a major drawback unless all you do is transfer LARGE files (and even so, my LP performs VERY admirably in this regard and it performs very well even though it's *only* 5900RPM)

Actually, post Seagate and WD takeover HDD's don't seem to be fairing as well. It seems the new models coming from Seagate and WD are of lesser quality than they were even 2 years ago. This is from what I've seen on forums though but it seems across the various forums I belong to, more people are having issues with new HDD's than they used to of course it could just be that I notice the threads about the issues more now than before but with Samsung out of the equation, no one has anything to try to best in terms of quality because Samsung's HDD's were as good as it got for quality right up until they were dissolved by Seagate.

Or....it's that the vast population of happy customers are staying silent and those who got the bad eggs are making a stink openly and publicly.

I wouldn't be on here promoting what great luck I have with all my HDDs/SSDs just because but if I had a harddrive or SSD die I may take the time to rant about it. This was the whole problem with OCZ SSDs, they were almost always the best deal for an SSD, TONS of people bought them then "a lot" of people complained that they died and were crap. I have two of them and they work perfectly and have never given me trouble (on my Agility 3 right now).

• Like 1

TONS of people bought them then "a lot" of people complained that they died and were crap. I have two of them and they work perfectly and have never given me trouble (on my Agility 3 right now).

...so what you're saying then, is that the common mythos is; refurbs are bad especially when a particular product has gotten some bad press from a group of dissatisfied users ? ....and it seems as though the definition of what constitutes a "refurb" is still debatable depending on a particular companies standards...

right now i'm looking right at an unopened 256g ocz vector while operating off of a pair of raided 128g vertex 4's and feeling afraid...should i sell my ocz stocks ?

meanwhile, the refurb'd cav black just keeps plugging away...maybe buy a few shares of wd ?...

^This, often these drives were returned and never used and may be retested rigorously!

+1

Yeah Green and Barracuda LP drives are just fine, you'll never actually see the slower spindle speed being a major drawback unless all you do is transfer LARGE files (and even so, my LP performs VERY admirably in this regard and it performs very well even though it's *only* 5900RPM)

Actually, post Seagate and WD takeover HDD's don't seem to be fairing as well. It seems the new models coming from Seagate and WD are of lesser quality than they were even 2 years ago. This is from what I've seen on forums though but it seems across the various forums I belong to, more people are having issues with new HDD's than they used to of course it could just be that I notice the threads about the issues more now than before but with Samsung out of the equation, no one has anything to try to best in terms of quality because Samsung's HDD's were as good as it got for quality right up until they were dissolved by Seagate.

Or....it's that the vast population of happy customers are staying silent and those who got the bad eggs are making a stink openly and publicly.

I wouldn't be on here promoting what great luck I have with all my HDDs/SSDs just because but if I had a harddrive or SSD die I may take the time to rant about it. This was the whole problem with OCZ SSDs, they were almost always the best deal for an SSD, TONS of people bought them then "a lot" of people complained that they died and were crap. I have two of them and they work perfectly and have never given me trouble (on my Agility 3 right now).

I thinks thats it mainly, people only take time to review if the product is worthless. If it runs they slap it in and forget it.

• Like 1