Is it possible to reorient video?

ivangela

Sp my wife has all these videos she took with her iPhone but they are all upside down  :doh:

Does anyone know if it is possible to flip them around, because if not, they're getting recycled!

If you have VLC Player, you can change the orientation through File > Open File > Tools > Effects and Filters > Video Effects > Basic > Transform > Rotate 90 degrees

If you have Windows Live Movie Maker; simply import the video and click on the appropriate 'Rotate' buttons, then save the video.

No need to delete the videos  :)

I guess the iPhone ain't that smart because it does NOT auto-orient the videos and yes, she did hold the phone upside down.

So, Moviemaker is kind of a PIA...I have to load each movie, which is in quicktime format and then reorient them, no big deal. THen I have to resave the movie but it doesn't defaul to the original name, so you gotta enter that. Then you need to choose a format but quicktime isn't an option. In fact it gives options like "android, large" or "iphone" or other strange options, instead of things like.mp4 or other real extensions. So I chose iPhone and it makes it a .mp4 but the file size is considerably smaller. Am I losing resolution here? I don't mind the smaller size but I don't want a crappier vid!

Anyway, really time consuming!

I was under the impression you had a relatively small number of videos to convert, apologies. If you have a large number of videos, you can bulk rotate them with this software.

MP4 video is compressed as standard. A computer has much more computing power to use in video compression, thus it is possible to make the video a smaller file size than would be possible on a mobile device. You may wish to create a custom setting to ensure everything is the same resolution and quality though, just to be sure.

I would use Avidemux myself personally.

Load up the video, select your output (Avidemux can not output the file as .mov unfortunately, though .mp4, avi. etc play better on a wider variety of players anyways), click on filters, then select horizontal flip, then you select save video.

It isn't idiot proof though, it assumes you kow what you're doing, you can wait an hour for something to encode and realize it doesn't work or isn't quite right.

So you should test the smallest file first, until you find the setting that work properly.

:P

I was under the impression you had a relatively small number of videos to convert, apologies. If you have a large number of videos, you can bulk rotate them with this software.

MP4 video is compressed as standard. A computer has much more computing power to use in video compression, thus it is possible to make the video a smaller file size than would be possible on a mobile device. You may wish to create a custom setting to ensure everything is the same resolution and quality though, just to be sure.

Well, I used the program you linked to and while it is much better for the task than Moviemaker, one still can't bulk rotate.

I import each vid and rotate it accordingly with one click (which is then the default for the next imported vid, a helpful touch) then I save it and the only change to the filename is the obligatory " (1) ", which is tolerable.

While the program is converting my image, I can prep to load the next one, which is also nice as it saves time, BUT beware not to try and load the next video prior to completion of the current vid, as it will crash the program (which in my haste I did twice until I got the hang of it).

I was able to do 200 videos in about 40 minutes.

Only 1000 to go (but not all are videos)  :wallbash: