38 replies to this topic

#37 ccokeman

ccokeman

????????????

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12434 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

In the past I did it just to see how productive a system I could build and be up towards the top folders in PPD. Now it is the hope that one day the research could help find a cure for the ills that plague us. Plus I now have a vested interest in folding after my wife had cancer so its a way for me to contribute to a cause with the hope that someone else wont have to go through that. The money spent on parts and electricity are irrelevant at this point to me. If I need to go full bore when gaming or using photoshop I just turn it off for that time period. Other than that its 24/7 365 on mine and my wifes primary rigs.

Processor Intel Core I7 4690X  4.3Ghz
Memory G.Skill RipJaws  32GB 2400Mhz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV BE
Graphics  GTX TitanX x2
Power Corsair AX 1200,
Monitor ASUS PQ321Q
Cooling Liquid by comittee

Storage  OCZ RevoDrive 350 480GB  Seagate 8TB
Follow OCC on facebook.png

#38 My_Inner_Fred

My_Inner_Fred

Being Lazy

• Folding Member
  • 1319 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I use to fold on a daily basis but as of now I've been holding off on folding due to the heat it creates... It makes my room feel like a god damned oven o.0

Main Rig

Mobo: ASUS P67 Sabertooth | GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 460 768MB | GPU2: EVGA Nvidia 520 GT 1GB | PSU: Raidmax 850W Gold Cert. | CPU: Intel I7-2600k 3.4GHz OCed to 4.6Ghz | RAM: (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X series 8GB 1600Mhz

RAM2: (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X series 8GB 1866Mhz(running at 1600Mhz) | HS: Corsair H70 Water Cooling | HDDs: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB/WD Caviar Black 1TB/WD Caviar Green 1TB | CD/DVD: ASUS DVD/CD Drive

WolfandSpice_1341388341.jpgMy_Inner_Fred.jpg

#39 DanTheGamer11

DanTheGamer11

Proud noob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4403 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hmm I'm doubtful of that. Hope it actually does help and not just waste electricity.

What are you doubtful of?
Basic biology is that form equals function. If the way a protein folds can be determined than the function can be more easily determined also.
I'm not doubtful of biology, I have no idea where you got that idea from. I'm doubtful that folding does much, I'm sure labs have more advanced simulation and models that do a better job. Maybe an article would help to convince me.

The thing is the distributed computing is hundreds of times more efficient for the uni than any advanced lab/computers they could ever get.

Why have you asked me a question after I was...'convinced' ;)

Also leaves room for more errors, right? So do thousands of computers compute the same thing?

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @3.2Ghz
Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 8GB 1.48V 1600Mhz DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical
Motherboard Asrock N68C-GS FX
Graphics XFX HD 7950
Storage 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD, 240GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, Thanks OCC & Kingston, makes a big difference  :)
Optical Disk Drive Sony Optiarc DVD/CD ReWriter
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 650W Bronze
Case Cooler Master CM690, Akasa 4 port USB front panel (MOAR USBs  :woot:)