Computer always crashes while gaming

not sure if this is the right place to post this thread but here it is anyway.

Ive built this computer literally 4 days ago, and since then Ive had nothing but problems with it for some reason. It runs fine, until I try to play games. Every game Ive played from Wow to BF3, PC just randomly crashes for no reason and it ONLY happens while gaming.

Im PC savvy so of of course my drivers are all up to date as well as the newest BIOS installed. At first I thought it was my OC, so I reverted everything back to stock and cleared the CMOS. Still same problem. Ive done everything I know how to do. Re-installed all the drivers. re-seated everything. Ran Prime95, AIDA64, Furmark, Memtest, Intel Burn-in ECT as well as SSD/HDD stability tests. Everything passes. I could understand if it was just ONE game but 7?

i know cooler is seated properly as even at 1.35v and a 4.7 OC I never once hit 70C at max load even after 30 mins of stressing. According to RealTemp, Speedfan and AIDA64. RAM is seated good as BIOS reads both modules and they pass 3 consecutive MEMtest runs. Ive re-seated GPU several times and all the stability tests Ive thrown at it ne er had a problem, unless I OC it but that's to be expected for a card that is already OCed like a mofo. ive also disabled iGPU on the i5 thinking that was causing it as well as uninstalling Lucid MVP and AI suite II

What could it possibly be? its driving me mad here!

here are the specs;

Asus Maximus V Formula

Intel Core i5-3570k

Xigmatek Dark Knight II w/AC5

G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8Gb 2133

Asus Direct Cu II GTX 660Ti TOP

Intel Cherryville 520 120GB SSD

Rosewill CAPSTONE 650watt 80+ Gold

Edited by DnaAngel

If you can run IBT, furmark, and P95 but crash in WoW, that pretty much narrows it down to a driver/software issue. Newest drivers are not always the best for every setup - try going back one or two releases to see if it helps.

Edited by Puck

Do you get any errors or anything before the crash? Any crash dumps?

This before doing anything else. If there is any information you can give us about the crash, like what a blue screen says caused the crash. I know that for me, occasionally my computer crashes when gaming and it almost always shows something directly related to the video drivers.

tried to re-install windows?

i could remember having this kind of problem in my early days and re-installing windows worked like a charm.

Not really. First you need to know what type of crash it is (CTD, BSOD etc..) then you find out the root cause then you try to fix it.

You could reinstall windows ten times and still end up with the same problem.

So OP, if you have any info regarding what type of crash it was, an error code if there was one and which graphics drivers you are using currently then we could start from there. 

Do you get any errors or anything before the crash? Any crash dumps?

This before doing anything else. If there is any information you can give us about the crash, like what a blue screen says caused the crash. I know that for me, occasionally my computer crashes when gaming and it almost always shows something directly related to the video drivers.

that and which operating system is it using ?

i could remember having this kind of problem in my early days and re-installing windows worked like a charm.

oh man ya know what, i just remembered i had mega problems back when i installed windows with the system oc'd and had to go in and default everything, wipe the harddrive clean and  then reinstall,....did you happen to install with the machine overclocked ?

Yes, BSOD error code or Windows Log error reports would be helpful.  If machine is restarting before presenting you with a BSOD error code you'll need to;

Right click on "My Computer" > Click on "Advanced" tab > Click on "Settings" under the "Start Up and Recovery" options > un-check "Automatically Restart" > click "OK"

As others have pointed out, knowing whether this is a CTD, BSOD, or black screen freeze would be helpful too  :)

oh man ya know what, i just remembered i had mega problems back when i installed windows with the system oc'd and had to go in and default everything, wipe the harddrive clean and  then reinstall,....did you happen to install with the machine overclocked ?

depents, if i had windows running before hand with my overclocks and i install the same version because of formatting the hdd then i dont return the oc, but i didnt oc back in the day, i was newb back then xP

Edited by WarWeeny