Which PSU be enough for an unlocked Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition and

Hello,

I just bought the Phenom II x2 555 BE although it should have been a x4 955. The Phenoms on the stores are all out of stock(some phased out) and this x2 555 BE is the only remaining one in stock. 

As soon as I get over the warranty limit, I'm planning to unlock it. But I wish to know if the PSU and mobo will make it through.

Right now I have an unlocked Sempron 140(unlocked to Athlon II x2 4400e) and I've been using this for almost two years. 

These are the mobo and video card specs

Mobo: Biostar A780L v6.1 http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=472#dl
VC: AMD Radeon HD 6750 1GB 
2GB DDR2

PSU: A generic 600W

Now, if I unlocked Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition which I believe results into a Phenom II x4 955, will one of these PSU suffice for the unlocking of 3rd or fourth core?

FSP Hexa 500W
http://pcx.com.ph/components/power-supplies/fsp-hexa-he500-eff-80-500w.html

Antec Neo
http://pcx.com.ph/components/power-supplies/antec-neo-eco-520w.html

I'm really intrigued by the Assassin's Creed 3. Most people who have high end rigs complain about low fps in Boston but my cousin who has Phenom II x2 555 played it well. He has a GeForce 440 gfx card.

Thanks for your time and also, I am open to suggestions. But please understand that I am not that rich to replace everything above I have right now. But am already looking forward to it once I really have the money and if I need to upgrade.

You can use this calculator to work out the maximum power your rig will draw; it's a good starting point for upgrading your PSU, I would recommend selecting your processor as an equivalent to what you want to unlock it to for accurate measurement.

As far as Assassin's Creed 3 goes, people have different standards when they play games; for example, some people might say 20-30fps on Medium-Low settings is good; whereas others will not tolerate less than 40fps on High or Ultra settings, so it varies from user to user.

Good luck!

- Euro

• Like 1

I tried using the said calculator I don't think it has something to simulate unlocking of cores. Plus, I am not that good choosing the right options for the  calculator.

And do I still need to overclock it? I thought unlocking with ACC will be enough.

Anyways, here is what I gave on the Overclocking section

http://s8.postimage.org/o72647c3p/Untitled.png

I would suggest using the equivalent CPU you hope to unlock the processor to; for example if you were hoping to unlock two cores to an X4 955, I would state your processor as an X4 955, and put a modest OC on it (maybe 0.05V, and 200MHz or something). That would probably give the most accurate representation.

In reality, you would just be running the chip with ACC on with no OC, but for the purposes of the calculator, use a modest OC.

Edited by EuroFight

Yeah. The X2 555 is effectively an X4 955 with two cores disabled. This means it outputs less heat and has a higher overclocking potential.

Once you unlock these two cores, your chip is essentially the same as an X4 955. Be aware your chip will chuck out a load more heat though with the extra cores.

Hopefully, the x2 555 alone will be not need unlocking and will be enough for my needs and for the AC3.

How about the Biostar motherboard? In the link I gave it indicated on the list of supported CPUs that it supports 125W Phenom x4. Does this mean I'm safe?

As you are unlocking cores, all you need is the CPU you are unlocking is supported and the motherboard supports the unlocked TDP. You have the added security of what you aim to unlock the chip too being supported by the motherboard.

Be aware, however, nothing is guaranteed, if you unlock your chip you will most likely void the warranty on both your motherboard and the chip itself, however I assume you already know that from your unlocked Semperon :tongue:

Edited by EuroFight

From the spaces of the motherboard, it seems that it is not a good board to unlock and run 2 normal and 2 unlocked cores due to inferior VRM.

After looking at the motherboard it doesn't say it supports even the x2 555. It does support other CPUs with a TDP of 125W though...

Edited by EuroFight

I believe the Antec Neo ECO is the better power supply (Seasonic platform).

A Phenom II X4 is a 125 watt TDP, figure 140 overclocked, HD 6750  will max out under 140 watts.

Using 160+160 plus 80 watts for the rest of the system (this is likely at least 100 watts more than required) any honest power supply rated 400 watts would be fine.