Truck forum? Need some help.

SpeedCrazy

Hey Y'all,

I'm wondering if any of y'all can recommend a good forum where i can get some help with my Nissan 720 ST 4x4 ('85).

I've been kinda looking but i guess occ set the standard too high, most of the places i look i get knee deep in a thread and find the jerks.

I'm needing some general advice and some more specific advice, such as the vacuum monster under the hood has several dead end hoses, well they don't go anywhere but they aren't dead ends they are open. And i think my carb needs cleaned out. Lift and tire advice. Fairly general but its easier if the helper has experience with similar vehicles.

For those interested:

post-72422-0-41511700-1350414704_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

And if any of y'all want to chime in with your own advice please, be my guest.

Speed

• Like 1

Head over to http://carforum.net/]CarForum.[/url] You'll love it, its a great community with nice people. CarForum was created by members from XtremeSystems and is a sister site, so everybody there is really nice. I know a couple people over there, they're all really helpful and knowledgeable.

Edited by Onion

Are you just trying to get in shape for hunting (assumed from cammo paint)season? What is your budget. Is it running now? What are you going to use it for Just Woods? Woods and Road? How much lift? What size tires and rims? What do you have and what are you looking at buying as far as lift kits and suspension mod kits?

I have a friend who is an awesome mechanic I can hear him now..."what ever advice you get online get a second opinion from a local mechanic, most of them will talk your ear off for a cold 12pack or some herbal head material?" LOL

I would start with

1. Buy a manual for the Engine and replace ALL the vacuum hoses before attempting to clean or rebuild the carb.
  2. If your going to lift it, I would first start with putting it on a lift and at the very least check the frame or under-body for damage. or totally clean the underbody/frame and check all the mounts and frame for cracks or damage. Nothing is worse then getting stuck in the woods in a spot thats hard to hook or tow from because a frame couldn't take the beating of the woods..(Experience)
  3. Replacing all the (Worn rubber) suspension bushings and suspension mounts (if needed) and grease fittings etc etc.

Bear in mind i am a mechanical n00b.

Are you just trying to get in shape for hunting (assumed from cammo paint)season? What is your budget. Is it running now? What are you going to use it for Just Woods? Woods and Road? How much lift? What size tires and rims? What do you have and what are you looking at buying as far as lift kits and suspension mod kits?

I have a friend who is an awesome mechanic I can hear him now..."what ever advice you get online get a second opinion from a local mechanic, most of them will talk your ear off for a cold 12pack or some herbal head material?" LOL

I would start with

1. Buy a manual for the Engine and replace ALL the vacuum hoses before attempting to clean or rebuild the carb.
  2. If your going to lift it, I would first start with putting it on a lift and at the very least check the frame or under-body for damage. or totally clean the underbody/frame and check all the mounts and frame for cracks or damage. Nothing is worse then getting stuck in the woods in a spot thats hard to hook or tow from because a frame couldn't take the beating of the woods..(Experience)
  3. Replacing all the (Worn rubber) suspension bushings and suspension mounts (if needed) and grease fittings etc etc.

Its my daily driver. But yes i want to get it in off-road shape.

Budget - i am attempting to compile a list of things i need to do to it and their priority, then i start setting aside money and when i reach the amount needed for the first thing, i do it and start saving for the next. Woods and road as stated above.

Stock lift, stock 15in tires i believe. Will check when i get home this evening. Stock nissan rims.

What i have, a pretty much stock truck that runs great but has a bit of a beat up exterior.

1. I have the Haynes manual for the Nissan/Datsun Pickupand PAthfinder 1980-1996. The hoses aren't cracked or anything, not to say i won't follow your advice, but iam slightly concerned at the hoses that don't seem to go anywhere. I suppose that would be solved as i replaced all the hoses. Though i seems to be having a little trouble finding a vacuum hose diagram right now.

2. Lift is kinda low on my priorities right now due to cost, though i do want to do it. I am helping my friend clean out his shop and we are going to put it up on his lift and clean the under body*, i know the floor pans need replaced(rusted out), i have the metal and tools to do that, just a matter of getting that shop cleaned out.

3. I know the bushings need replaced(dry and cracked looking), not sure how to do it though. I'm gonna pick up a grease gun this week and go to town on all the grease fittings.

*As of now the plan here is to get it up on the lift, clean it sand/grind all the rust off make sure the mounts are sound, weld in new floor panels. As this requires tearing out the cab interior i'm going to take advantage of this to check all the wiring and get rid of the carpet and when we put it back together replace it with spray in liner for insulation and protection in one. That will let me clean it out easily, good thing for a work and woods truck.

Another thing i know i need to do is replace the radiator. The mount was broken when i bought it and is currently held in place by some big zip-ties. Holds it together but its not ideal.

Thanks all for your recommendations and renigade for your advice.

what ever advice you get online get a second opinion from a local mechanic

On the flip side of that a mechanic may or may not have your best interest in mind.  The internet advice is coming from someone not trying to make a profit on you.  An example would be when someone asked about a lift kit for their Jeep I mentioned some of the well known and trusted brands and personally recommended Rock Krawler.  When he goes to the shop the mechanic told them how RK lifts sucked and he should get an AEV instead.  Anyone who knows even a little about the two lift kits knows that the RK is an all around better lift in every way.  But that mechanic didn't carry RK but carried AEV.  So he was clearly biased in his recommendation.  I personally could care less what lift kit he buys in the end.  It's not my money being spent or going in my pocket. 

It could be like taking the computer advice of a Best Buy employee over the many people here on this forum.

• Like 1

ok and then get a third and a fourth and a fifth ask  multiple mechanics and from multiple forums or  ask your pastors mechanic if your worried about honesty.... but at least get at the very least more then one opinion was my point...

Yes get it running well before looking at attempting to lift it first. I can ask my mechanic friends for you if you like. I just happen to actually know 2 honest mechanics..But i know he would say get it running first and then start start with replacing all the worn out rubber and bushings and grease fittings maybe then as you are doing that you will by default be inspecting all of the moving suspension parts sway bar swing arms shocks struts etc etc once you know the under body suspension and frame are ok then you can worry about lifting the old girl. I have helped rebuild work on and restore a few cars hanging out with mechanics and growing up with a hotroding uncle with an affinity for old hot rods and stocks cars and circle dirt beasts.

if you want better results ask better questions and lots of them.

@ Coors yeah i have known a shit ton of those type of mechanics. But not all of them are scumbag thieves :) and generally even if your not buying anything from them they too can still tend to be just as much of a fan boy as PC builders..

*Shrug

When i get some time i will ask the same questions on some of the above posted sites but for now what do you think of the following plan of action:

• - Tomorrow, or as soon as i buy a cartridge for my grease gun, grease up all the grease fittings.
  • - While i save for hoses and bushings. Not sure on price so this might not be very long. Start combating rust, sander/grinder and some form of rust retardant paint. Start with the cab and bed, then lift the bed and do the back half of the frame. Then do the rest of the under body after i do the floor panels and it is on the lift. This step will kinda be before during and between all the following steps. any recommendations on paint? i assume its a primer like stuff that you paint over to protect.
  • - Replace the hoses. Hope i can find a diagram, though most of them i can just measure and replace as i go.
  • - Replace the bushings. not sure how to do this yet.
  • - Replace the wiring harness, lots of electrical tape and the battery leads are cracked. I have the diagrams for this.
  • - Tear out the cab interior and sand off all the rust.
  • - Weld i new floor panels.
  • - Paint the under body with rust retardant paint. See above.
  • - Spray bed liner in the cab.
  • - Put the cab back together.

Then stop and figure out what to do next. I am sure as i go through the above i will find more things that need done but current possibilities include:

• - New gas tank/gauge. The gauge does not work, hopefully fixed by wiggling loose connections while doing all the cab work but doubtful.
  • - Carb rebuild. It sat for a few years before i got it and starts kinda rough so this maybe a good idea, probably pay someone to do this.
  • - New radiator. The mount on the current one is broken and is only held in by monster zip-ties. Also got chewed up a bit when it came loose, before i got it, still works with no leaks but for my peace of mind it needs replaced on this alone regardless of the mount. This one will happen sooner if i can get a hold of a radiator.
  • - Lift kit. Bottom priority.
Edited by SpeedCrazy

When I get some time i will ask the same questions on some of the above posted sites but for now what do you think of the following plan of action:

• - Tomorrow, or as soon as i buy a cartridge for my grease gun, grease up all the grease fittings.
  • - While i save for hoses and bushings. Not sure on price so this might not be very long. Start combating rust, sander/grinder and some form of rust retardant paint. Start with the cab and bed, then lift the bed and do the back half of the frame. Then do the rest of the under body after i do the floor panels and it is on the lift. This step will kinda be before during and between all the following steps. any recommendations on paint? i assume its a primer like stuff that you paint over to protect.
  • - Replace the hoses. Hope i can find a diagram, though most of them i can just measure and replace as i go.
  • - Replace the bushings. not sure how to do this yet.
  • - Replace the wiring harness, lots of electrical tape and the battery leads are cracked. I have the diagrams for this.
  • - Tear out the cab interior and sand off all the rust.
  • - Weld i new floor panels.
  • - Paint the under body with rust retardant paint. See above.
  • - Spray bed liner in the cab.
  • - Put the cab back together.

Then stop and figure out what to do next. I am sure as i go through the above i will find more things that need done but current possibilities include:

• - New gas tank/gauge. The gauge does not work, hopefully fixed by wiggling loose connections while doing all the cab work but doubtful.
  • - Carb rebuild. It sat for a few years before i got it and starts kinda rough so this maybe a good idea, probably pay someone to do this.
  • - New radiator. The mount on the current one is broken and is only held in by monster zip-ties. Also got chewed up a bit when it came loose, before i got it, still works with no leaks but for my peace of mind it needs replaced on this alone regardless of the mount. This one will happen sooner if i can get a hold of a radiator.
  • - Lift kit. Bottom priority.

Billy's(my friend Mechanic) words "Begin with the end in mind. tackle 1 area at a time until complete"  Assuming the truck currently runs 1

• Focus on getting the truck running well before you even think about the body and suspension
  • 3 simple things to remember AIR FIRE FUEL
  • Start with your Vacuum hoses and replace your air filter etc etc
  • Check all of your ground wires, clean and reconnect all you see, clean and or replace terminal connections
  • Plugs wires coil cap roter
  • make sure when you turn the key you can hear the fuel pump some trucks have 2. One in the tank and one on the rail replace the filters.
  • if the gas gauge is not working it is most likely rusted and there very well may be rust in your tank and lines.
  • install an inline Visibility fuel filter up top before the carb,(temporary) this will tell you if there is any rust in the lines or tank. be prepared to take it out if your fuel pump or pumps are not strong enough.

If your going to run in the woods you want to make sure you don't break down in the woods first. or just make sure you keep a tow strap in the back seat LMAO

Once you get the truck running well then you can start planning the rest. I watched a friend suck water into his engine on a Bronco because of a stray vacuum line.

If you need any advice call me get my # from my website tlchw.net Jeff

Edited by Renigade