Thought this might be an interesting topic shortly after watching a Penn & Teller show on YouTube. The episode has a female legislator describing a scary situation. My friends and I will go over scenarios such as these to complement our training so I thought we could do the same here. Best case scenario is none of us will ever be in any of these dire situations. Though if the situation comes up we will probably have a better chance to save our self, loved ones and possibly others.
No one has all the solutions. There is no guarantee that this will keep any of us out of trouble or that we will know exactly what to do if the time comes since even an extremely well trained individual may not react the way they were trained or even a way they always reacted before. If you don't know how to respond, put the the first thought you have since that is what you feel most comfortable with. If you ask for help then people can tell you what they like in your reply and areas they would tweak.
My dad always likened it to getting a house alarm or a gun. A house alarm will not prevent you from getting robbed, nor will a gun. But the harder you can make it for someone the less attractive of a target you are and they may move on to someone else. Not to mention (and more so in the purpose of this thread) you are a bit more prepared and that can only help you out.
- Before throwing a new scenario for people to chew on, there has to be at least 24 hours of inactivity of the current scenario. Or the scenario owner may say their scenario is solved and it’s a first come first serve basis in picking the next scenario.
- You can respond to an old scenario if you want, but please label which scenario you are responding to and be respectful of the fact you are answering out of turn. It might be easier to not let people respond out of turn but I really don’t want to limit the flow of creativity or good ideas because someone might come in late but have some really good ideas to help us all out.
- You don’t have to know the answer to the scenario. Most of the time when my friends and I bring this stuff up, we do it because we don’t know the answer and we want feedback from each other. Then once your friends chime in you usually open up. So if you got a scary thought in your head and you don’t know how to respond, THIS IS EXACTLY THE TIME TO BRING THAT STUFF UP.
- Not all scenarios have to be big. Say you want to know what to do if you start a grease fire and you don’t have a B rated fire extinguisher handy. Say you’re a warm weather driver who has never driven on an icy road, you lose traction and want to know what to do. Bring this stuff up. Though I will say that if you are satisfied with the response(s) you got please say you feel your scenario is solved so a new scenario can be started. If someone has some advice they think will benefit you they can still post it.
- Be respectful of other people’s replies, but its ok to respond to another reply as long as it is constructive criticism. If it becomes a war of egos, this is the first rule to get revoked.
Scenario 01 – Active Shooter at Restaurant
You are sitting in restaurant with loved (family, SO, whomever you love more) one(s). They have no combat training. A gunman walks in but doesn’t reveal himself until he has view of the seating area. He open fires on someone taking them out without a single word said.
Look at the attached picture. How would you react given the three areas of seating? (Labeled A, B,and C) You have no weapon on you, aside from a pocket knife.
Scenario1.jpg 17.51KB 28 downloads
- Tables have long table cloths
- Position A would be able to see more but to keep it simple, all you can see is the Gunman is wielding two pistols
- Re-think the scenario if you had Conceal Carry. Only you know your skill and confidence level with a gun, so how would you respond if you had a gun on you? Think of the positions you are in and what the gunman has a line of sight with, which could easily affect his actions especially if you are perceived as an immediate threat.
Probably not a good time to start this thread since it is Friday and participation is usually pretty low on Fri-Sun, but we will see how it goes. Probably won't be able to respond until Monday myself, but what the heck... let's give it a try.