Lack of empathy astounds me

Ryu Hayabusa

I'm sure most of you have heard of FPSRussia and some have probably heard the sad and tragic news that one of the producers, Keith Ratliff, has been killed. Keith, husband and father of a 2 year old, was found dead at his place of business. He was an avid supporter of the 2nd amendment and had many, legal, guns in his possession. Short story, he was found in his business with plenty of guns around him. Now to the part that astonishes me, while trying to get more on the story, i came across a webpage that is for a certain political party, and all they really had to say about it is "live by the sword, die by the sword" and "funny how all his guns didn't protect him" and other saying along those lines. I'm not meaning this to be an attack of a political party, i know tons of dems that own guns, and would feel, what i believe to be the proper emotional response of the murder of a gentleman that was killed for what appears to be no apparent reason. I just don't understand turning a tragic situation into a spring board for political/personal soap box and making light of the said tragedy. 

This isn't meant to be a talk about gun control, we already have a thread for that, but a talk about the lack of empathy for a wife that lost her husband, and a child that lost their father. 

That is tragic.  Especially in light of him having left behind a young child and wife.  I'll never understand people who immediately use a tragedy as a platform for their own agenda.  But I guess that's where we are today. 

As you can tell from my post count i tend to lurk. so i don't feed the trolls often, but i guess i had enough from both sides. I've gotten to the point that I've lost faith the political process as a whole. 

These ramblings are probably due to staying up all night with a sick kid. My apologies. 

There are assholes on both sides of the political spectrum.

Sucks he was killed, but honestly if worded properly (of which I don't know how to without seeming unempathetic myself) I don't see that as a bad start to a discussion.

However without context and without knowing exactly how the incident went down I wont stoop that low to call him out.

That is tragic.  Especially in light of him having left behind a young child and wife.  I'll never understand people who immediately use a tragedy as a platform for their own agenda.  But I guess that's where we are today. 

me either, but it does happen often...

A terrible event. Eploitation is wrong, but.

The media depends and promotes emotional response. As it is. Sigh.

Where have all the manners gone.  Manners are a social lubricant, their absence promotes violence and hatred. No one seems to care.

Was just reading there were fist fights in Congress before the Civil War. And worse.Yet Abraham Lincoln allowed, and talked to visitors to the White House.

A terrible event. Eploitation is wrong, but.

The media depends and promotes emotional response. As it is. Sigh.

Where have all the manners gone.  Manners are a social lubricant, their absence promotes violence and hatred. No one seems to care.

Was just reading there were fist fights in Congress before the Civil War. And worse.Yet Abraham Lincoln allowed, and talked to visitors to the White House.

Sadly that is the only thing political parties care about. They all use tragedy/wrong doing/whatever as they think it best serves them to get elected/re-elected. Want to see what a psychopath looks like? Look at your closest politician.

There are assholes on both sides of the political spectrum.

Sucks he was killed, but honestly if worded properly (of which I don't know how to without seeming unempathetic myself) I don't see that as a bad start to a discussion.

However without context and without knowing exactly how the incident went down I wont stoop that low to call him out.

I don't agree with all his view even though, like him, I am an avid gun owner. He has made some comments via twitter about wishing someone would try to pull a "batman" at the movie theater he was at and the like, and sparking a discussion is one thing, but the belittle a man that has passed away and making like of his families tragedy are completely different. I'm always up (mainly watching :ph34r: ) for a good discussion. But have a little tact and "common" courtesy. 

Just realized that could be taken as towards you andrew, i meant that towards the people posting the "funny" comments, not you. 

Edited by Ryu Hayabusa

Sadly that is the only thing political parties care about. They all use tragedy/wrong doing/whatever as they think it best serves them to get elected/re-elected. Want to see what a psychopath looks like? Look at your closest politician.

I agree 100%