No sound

ivangela

I recently installed Win 7 64 as opposed to the 32bit I had running.

I no longer get sound.

The PC in my sig is hooked up to my Onkyo receiver through HDMI which in turn is attached to my SHarp LCD through HDMI. The first attached screenshot says I have my HD audio using S/pdif but I am not using S/PDIF.

My old graphics card, a 9500 GT is getting sound from a little 2 pin connector to the mobo and HDMI is the only path. This setup worked fine prior to the OS change but I had a different sound option in attachment 2, not including the spdif in it and I can't remember what it was called, which is irrelevant as it is not shown in attachment 2.

Any help appreciated!

post-67055-0-70533700-1357610038_thumb.png

post-67055-0-20442400-1357610051_thumb.png

Occasionally I've noticed on a restart that audio doesn't work for me, but I've fixed that be re-enabling the audio device. Basically sometimes Windows will not get the audio stuff started correctly, but it's not hard to fix. Restarting the Windows Audio service has worked, as has changing the audio device. That being said though, I'm running through the speakers port and not HDMI, so things may be different.

First thing I would recommend you doing, if what I mention above doesn't help, is watching the volume mixer or playback devices menu (your second image) while playing some audio file. We want to make sure Windows thinks it should be making some noise. You should also try connecting headphones or more traditional speakers so we can know if it is all audio or just HDMI audio that is a problem, but that would be a different step than just testing for any playback.

Something else I've just remember is that you can Right-Click in the audio devices window to have it show disabled and disconnected devices. Perhaps that option you can't remember is there after all, but not visible.

Jim, I gotta say you are one of the most helpful fellas out there. I disabled the audio device and now I have sound. Not sure why, but I do.

A huge   THANKS 

The attached pic shows a change in the Jack information. When I disabled the device this change was made automatically. 

post-67055-0-19006100-1357697155_thumb.png

Edited by ivangela