Using an old router as a Repeater?

dr_bowtie

Beings I have an older home WiFi just doesnt get everywhere....

My current Router (DLink DGL-4500) is in the basement on the opposite end of the home.

I have an older router (Netgear WNR2000 v2 Wireless-N 300) that i would like to use as a Repeater in the center of the house possibly?

is it easily done and if so how would I accomplish this?

I've read something before about cloning the MAC address or something and people have done this so I wonder if I could do it too?

any ideas?

Turn off DHCP on the netgear. Setup the same wifi with security as your other router. Run a network cable from your Dlink to your netgear.

Its wont be setup as a repeater but a access point more of less.

Thats another of doing it.

I was considering doing something similar to this, but using a router to relay a wireless signal along a CAT5 to the computer, eliminating the requirement of a stupid wireless card.

Glad you solved your issue though :thumbsup:

Turn off DHCP on the netgear. Setup the same wifi with security as your other router. Run a network cable from your Dlink to your netgear.

This is the best way to do it. Using wireless repeaters and extenders actually hinder network performance as they create a throughput cost of 50% per each repeating of the wireless signal unless you have dual band (radio) devices handling the repeating duties.

Done this with an old wrt 54g I had laying around... Had to plug it into one of the network port as the modem plug would not work on it that way... I had the main one set 192.168.1.1 and the wrtg54 set 192.168.1.2

I Set this up this morning and it works great....

Although the Wifi is set up all the same with the exception of the SSID....

Ran a cable for the DLink LAN port to the Netgear LAN port and fired it up and it just worked right out of the box with DHCP disabled.....

Yeah thats Wev's for letting me bug you as always.... LOL

I should say I also got the High Gain 9db antennas for the DGL-4500 and I put those on as well.... then the DGL-4500 wouldnt power up... a little fiddling and it did then it died 10 minutes later....

After monkeying around with taking it apart and checking things it was clean... the DMM found the power plug at the wall gave up the ghost. Luckily I had a spare.....

Update:

This worked great for all about a day. I started having some weird quirks today in the fact that any Android device could connect but not access the net... Full signal but Grayed out and wouldn't turn blue.

All the laptops connected fine via Window-7 and the issue just seemed to be android related...I found that when I was in the netgear after chasing the issue I left DHCP enabled the last time and forgot to disable it. I did set the Netgear IP range outside the DLINKs IP. I was able to log in both routers via IE and see the settings and make changes as needed.

Nothing seemed to help the Android issue... it started when i looked at the Adapter and noticed the IP was lower than the DLink IP range and the Default Gateway was that of the Netgear....

set the Default Gateway to that of the DLink and it seemed to have fixed the issue for about 20 minutes and thats when i found DHCP enabled on the netgear...

So I disabled it and by then it made no difference. I also notice that when I first hooked up the Netgear it was in the DLinks list of connected LAN Client under the IP 192.168.0.197 and labeled WNR200v2 after I made changes it dropped out of the DLink list and wanst ever seen again...

Think that was because I set the Netgear LAN IP outside the netgear range as it was set 192.168.0.200 but I was able to log in and it worked for the most part... DLink range was .100-.199.....

I tried setting the netgear inside the DLink range and all I ever got was a router I could no longer log into....reset back to factory and try again... after this any change resulted into a router I couldnt log into.... I now remember why i pulled it from service...it was doing that before... oh well