Home Elecrical Question

Phil

So sorry to all of you who put your money on my demise, lol.

Cut the wire, creating two ends, attached the hot leads of a piece of romex to them, stuck the other end of the romex hot leads into the hots of a 220 outlet.  It made heat, like heaters do,  :)

probably how it is terminated...

In your original post it sounded like there was only a terminal on ONE end... if there is one on each end and the wire connects the two as a loop yes you split that wire and wire each end to a 220v leg... it's a Resistance heater much like a Hot water heater element...

Then you just need a 220v thermostat.....

Sorry for the confusion....

Not really sure why anyone was worried, the worst that could have happened was a circuit breaker tripped.

Electric things don't just burst into flames and they wont shock you unless you're touching bare metal. Its science not magic.

Common sense goes a long way, I'm glad you fixed it yourself and didn't resort to calling a 'professional'. :P

Not really sure why anyone was worried, the worst that could have happened was a circuit breaker tripped.

Electric things don't just burst into flames and they wont shock you unless you're touching bare metal. Its science not magic.

Common sense goes a long way, I'm glad you fixed it yourself and didn't resort to calling a 'professional'. :P

Ha ha, lots of drama in this thread, lol.  I didn't know how to wire this particular unit but I'm not exactly a n00b, I wired my house and shop among other things.  I usually just bring in a pro to double check my work at the entrance panel. 

Sorry I couldn't have made it more exciting.  :D

Try plugging a 120v heater into 220 sometime. Its a good light show. :lol:

Well with 40+ year old parts you can never be too careful. :)

Every house over 40 years old is full of 40 plus year old parts.

I trust you'll ignore the obvious opportunity to make a joke about my age.  :D