ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II Reviewed

Bosco

1134mhz with 1.263v?  wth!? ive reached the limit on the slider at 1125/1575 and i didnt touch the voltages at all lol still a 1.112

wish i knew how to "unlock" the sliders so i could tap 1200 on the ass.. easy done for this card id say

Every GPU is different. Its nice to knock down big numbers that show up great in screen shots but when you push it through a bunch of close to max settings runs and real life testing the real OC numbers fall down quite a bit. I can run higher clock speeds that pass 5,6,or even 7 tests but, It does not pass them all as well as a few hours of gaming. If I enabled the VGA Hotwire function and cranked up the voltage a bit higher, used a bit of LN2, then maybe it would go higher. This card might just have a leaky core that needs some extra voltage to scale. 

For all intents and purposes this card on air pulled 20%+ overclocks over the factory ratings on both the memory and core and did it running cooler than reference cards.

I can max the "sliders" at stock voltage but more required more juice its that simple.

Its easy to unlock the sliders if you know where to look....

I hope your card does better than the one I tested. I would be happy if it does allow you to get to 1200mhz.  Overclocking is a bonus not a guarantee.

i totally agree.. i game with those settings everyday for hours.. and i mean hours.. im on holidays from my real busy tradie life so getting a good 8hrs in dayz or bf3 isnt uncommon hahah well earned rest!

i was surprised how easily it overclocked the extra 200mhz without any increase in voltages or loss of stability.. hasnt crashed once or even gone past 80c with the stock fan profiles.. i made my own profile coz i dont like to take risks at it sits around the 55-60c mark with fans hovering around 50%

ive seen that i gotta use the older 12.8 drivers to have unlocked sliders but it runs great as is so i see no point going back just to push more.. maybe when we have our next oc comp to enter i will.. by then ill be sporting an intel system as well as this 3 year old @ 4ghz+ 1055t has starting taking its toll.. poor bugger.. hahah

oh and my card is just the reference asus card lol

i totally agree.. i game with those settings everyday for hours.. and i mean hours.. im on holidays from my real busy tradie life so getting a good 8hrs in dayz or bf3 isnt uncommon hahah well earned rest!

i was surprised how easily it overclocked the extra 200mhz without any increase in voltages or loss of stability.. hasnt crashed once or even gone past 80c with the stock fan profiles.. i made my own profile coz i dont like to take risks at it sits around the 55-60c mark with fans hovering around 50%

ive seen that i gotta use the older 12.8 drivers to have unlocked sliders but it runs great as is so i see no point going back just to push more.. maybe when we have our next oc comp to enter i will.. by then ill be sporting an intel system as well as this 3 year old @ 4ghz+ 1055t has starting taking its toll.. poor bugger.. hahah

oh and my card is just the reference asus card lol

All cards are different and I'd say cooling definitely plays a role too.

But it also requires luck of getting a good sample... And usually the best samples cost more.

My Sapphire 7970 Dual-X (reviewed by OCC back in June : http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd_7970/ ) does 1125Mhz core and 1575MHz mem on stock volts and I can run anywhere between 1200MHz - 1250MHz core on 1.3V core and 1700MHz - 1750MHz mem depending on drivers.

Oh and of course I have a benchmark/extreme gaming (aka for Crysis 3 :teehee: ) profile for 1300MHz core and 1800MHz mem at 1.325V core and 1.7V mem (my Sapphire has a dual bios provided by Sapphire which unlocks wider OC ranges in CCC and higher volts with control over GPU and mem volts)

Sometimes the Direct CU II cards aren't much better than the reference cooler for overclockers like us. I remember I preferred the reference 580 over the Direct CU II 580 I had because the Direct CU II vented its heat into the case instead of extracting it out the back.

Edited by Midnight Rider