FX8350 and 955BE (Improvement ?)

Here is a Farcry 3 benchmark showing the FX processor really helping out with the HD7970 compared to the 955 causing a bottleneck:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/far-cry-3-performance-benchmark,3379-7.html

The difference between similar CPUs of different core counts suggests that we might finally have a poster-child game for multithreading!

Here is a Farcry 3 benchmark showing the FX processor really helping out with the HD7970 compared to the 955 causing a bottleneck:

That's cool Red but the key here is the video card. If he has a 7970 then for sure I would say upgrade but if he does not, which is likely given the age of the machine. If he is using an older card he might end up bottle necked.

That's cool Red but the key here is the video card. If he has a 7970 then for sure I would say upgrade but if he does not, which is likely given the age of the machine. If he is using an older card he might end up bottle necked.

Maybe but like I said, gaming is not an issue with the games I currently play (but an upgrade to a 79XX card is in the works but lower down in the upgrade priority chain). The benchmark does show that there's a significant gap between the two and I'll probably pick one of these babies up in the coming weeks.

The 955 with a decent overclock is still a VERY viable gaming chip. The entire FX line has the issue that at a clock to clock comparisons per core they do not beat the Phenom II. Personally I doubt that the move you are suggesting would matter much outside of benchmarks are heavy multi-thread apps. From a gaming perspective it would likely not matter at all fro gaming experience. If you games are running good now I would hold the $200.

BTW the give a direct point, Doug, my shows co-host is STILL using a 940 and plays, Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, MechWarrior Online, Borderlands 2 and quite a few others and has no complaints.

very true...All of my kids are running CPUs from either a 940BE to a 980BE on either 450-460 video cards and they still game very well.....

You'll get at least $50 for your 955BE

On the other side of the coin, the above should only apply if you already have a GPU worthy of the upgrade or if you plan to purchase one before too long.

Won't be selling the 955, have spare parts lying around that could make a decent HTPC or whatever. With regards to the GPU; I do plan on upgrading to a 79XX card sometime soon hopefully but not before the 8350 and a new cooler to boot.

Its summer in Aus right now so ambient temps are pretty high, I'll underclock the damn thing if I had to :P (Until I get a new cooler of course)

Its 4am; ambient temp is 33 degrees celsius and my highest core is at 46 degrees right now with only Firefox, Origin and Nod32 running. This is at stock clocks, I always revert back to stock clocks during summer.

Its summer in Aus right now so ambient temps are pretty high, I'll underclock the damn thing if I had to :P (Until I get a new cooler of course)

Its 4am; ambient temp is 33 degrees celsius and my highest core is at 46 degrees right now with only Firefox, Origin and Nod32 running. This is at stock clocks, I always revert back to stock clocks during summer.

thats good to do.

as save as possible

GET ONE... :woot:

What a difference between the two. Loading windows was a very small improvment. Loading some apps it didnt make a dif at all. But they are OLD programs that i use from time to time.

My HD speeds have gone up 50-80+ MB faster.

Now my video program that i use.I went from render video that took 25-30mins to 18-22 now. Loading office 2010, I dont even see the splash loading screen. Rendering pics in adobe, its so much faster and smooth.

Im still running at stock 4.0 speeds, right now im getting help from someone with the same board as me to OC to 5.0.

• Like 1