FX8350 and 955BE (Improvement ?)

How much of an improvement is a FX-8350 over a 955be at stock clocks?

does it warrant shelling out 200+ bucks for it?

The FX 6300 offers the same stock speeds as the FX 8350 for $63 less. SGranted the FX 6300 has only 6 cores compared to the 8 that the FX 8350 has, but do more cores actually offer better preformance in most uses? It's also my understanding that in gaming, most of today's games are more GPU intensive than CPU intensive.

The 955 with a decent overclock is still a VERY viable gaming chip. The entire FX line has the issue that at a clock to clock comparisons per core they do not beat the Phenom II. Personally I doubt that the move you are suggesting would matter much outside of benchmarks are heavy multi-thread apps. From a gaming perspective it would likely not matter at all fro gaming experience. If you games are running good now I would hold the $200.

BTW the give a direct point, Doug, my shows co-host is STILL using a 940 and plays, Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, MechWarrior Online, Borderlands 2 and quite a few others and has no complaints.

Edited by ComputerEd

Not from a gaming perspective but in general use, video encoding, compressing and uncompressing etc..

I will tell you after Christmas. :woot:

I got a 965 at the moment, so not much difference between the two.

Nice! looking forward to what you have to say.

Benchmarks are not what you do, but 965 BE vs FX-8350

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=697

980BE vs FX-8350

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=697

For gaming my impessions from reading are some do much better, some do not do as well, some the same

Cheers

The 955 with a decent overclock is still a VERY viable gaming chip. The entire FX line has the issue that at a clock to clock comparisons per core they do not beat the Phenom II. Personally I doubt that the move you are suggesting would matter much outside of benchmarks are heavy multi-thread apps. From a gaming perspective it would likely not matter at all fro gaming experience. If you games are running good now I would hold the $200.

BTW the give a direct point, Doug, my shows co-host is STILL using a 940 and plays, Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, MechWarrior Online, Borderlands 2 and quite a few others and has no complaints.

I mostly play Fifa so don't really have any issues with gaming. RE: overclocking, I can get 4.0Ghz easy with my shitty tx3 but revert back to stock clocks during summer (which is now)

Some benchmarks for compression

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-11.html

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_fx8350/4.htm

I still use my 940 too!  It's OC'd to 3.6GHz and I have 2 gtx560 in SLI.  Not bad at gaming at all, it's no i7, but it works.  I also pay MechWarrior and BF3 as well as anything from Dirt to Metro 2033 all at 1080 and very high settings, not ultra though.

How much of an improvement is a FX-8350 over a 955be at stock clocks?

does it warrant shelling out 200+ bucks for it?

From what I've seen, not much of an improvement and definitely not worth 200 bucks PLUS another 100 for a new mobo.  

The way I see it is, if you need to blow 300 bucks, you might as well go with a new Intel setup.  Microcenter has your choice of the i5-3570k or fx-8350 for $189.

From what I've seen, not much of an improvement and definitely not worth 200 bucks PLUS another 100 for a new mobo.  

The way I see it is, if you need to blow 300 bucks, you might as well go with a new Intel setup.  Microcenter has your choice of the i5-3570k or fx-8350 for $189.

Just bought a Sabertooth 990FX r2 this week so no new mobo required but I would need a new cooler so that could be a $100 there.

Also, I'm about a million miles away from the nearest Microcentre :teehee: , the 3570k would cost $227, the 8350 $217 over here in WA.

Hey Freddie what about one of the quad core fx processors??

Not sure but I have major doubts that the 4170 or the 4300 would be a worthwhile improvement over the 955BE