Sapphire Vapor-X Universal CPU Cooler Reviewed

Bosco

You mean as all different coolers on all different CPU's?

yeah, I'm sure there haven't been too many platform switches to keep track of. (maybe archive ones that may not be relevant anymore, since the platform differences would be too different to gauge the cooler performance)

You kind of see what I'm getting at?

Kind of like of a one page comparison page like Frostytech, :http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2692&page=5 though it wouldn't be quite that extensive (only would show two of the newest test systems and their reviewed coolers)

or could implemented like AnandTech's super GPU bench list (but put a huge warning at the top of the comparison graphs if the two cooler comparisons were made on different setups): http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372

It honestly might be a lot of work but thought it'd be neat, wasn't sure if you could just input the cooler data into the graph creator and then just paste it up for the 775 test system, 1366 test system, and now the 1155 test system then archive the rest (or just keep the main page showing the two newest platforms that have been reviewed on, and archive the 775 also)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Anything in the comparison list is tested on the platform the product being reviewed is being tested on. It may originally have been tested on another platform but is retested with the platform and CPU switch. That way the results that are shown are current for the platform, CPU and motherboard test system. It would be nice to have every cooler int he world to test but with a short turn i picked the best comparisons in the price range that show a comparable cooler and one with more load capacity.

Anything in the comparison list is tested on the platform the product being reviewed is being tested on. It may originally have been tested on another platform but is retested with the platform and CPU switch. That way the results that are shown are current for the platform, CPU and motherboard test system. It would be nice to have every cooler int he world to test but with a short turn i picked the best comparisons in the price range that show a comparable cooler and one with more load capacity.

Yeah plus the 212EVO is pretty much all one needs with processors getting cooler lol

it should just say "Buy the Coolermaster 212EVO unless there's a sale on a better cooler making them about the same price...or you want a self contained water cooling system"

Yeah plus the 212EVO is pretty much all one needs with processors getting cooler lol

it should just say "Buy the Coolermaster 212EVO unless there's a sale on a better cooler making them about the same price...or you want a self contained water cooling system"

The problem is they are not all getting cooler.

Everyone is high on the 212Evo but until I lay my hands on one then I call it as I see it. I can tell you that any single tower air cooler is not going to handle a Core i7 2600K with 1.45 v through it long term nor will it handle a 3770K long term at 4.5Ghz +.

To the person questioning the use of Prime 95 for the load testing I ran the cooler I am working on now through OCCT Linpak with the same results as I get with a 1 hour load of Prime 95. Prime 95 works for the purpose intended, producing a significant thermal load. :cheers:

I may regret asking this, but can we see a picture of all the components you have to test with, Frank? I'm just imagining one wall of CPUs, another with coolers, then motherboards, next RAM, and finally GPUs, with cases on the floor. Yes, a five walled room with a tower of computer towers in the middle. Or maybe a throne of computer towers resting on a turn table, for you to enjoy your previously reviewed hardware, and for others to be impressed by. "See that CPU there? That was my first 4 GHz experience. This RAM got to 2000 MHz without melting-voltages. The GPUs in that corner heat my house over the winter. Oh, and how can I forget old blue; the best motherboard I've ever had. If I could drop a new socket in there, I would, but alas, it was never meant to be an i7 machine."

Edit: Oh no, now I'm imagining you on that throne with a cat in you lap saying, "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to increase the voltage and run the test again." Stroke the cat.

I may regret asking this, but can we see a picture of all the components you have to test with, Frank? I'm just imagining one wall of CPUs, another with coolers, then motherboards, next RAM, and finally GPUs, with cases on the floor. Yes, a five walled room with a tower of computer towers in the middle. Or maybe a throne of computer towers resting on a turn table, for you to enjoy your previously reviewed hardware, and for others to be impressed by. "See that CPU there? That was my first 4 GHz experience. This RAM got to 2000 MHz without melting-voltages. The GPUs in that corner heat my house over the winter. Oh, and how can I forget old blue; the best motherboard I've ever had. If I could drop a new socket in there, I would, but alas, it was never meant to be an i7 machine."

Edit: Oh no, now I'm imagining you on that throne with a cat in you lap saying, "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to increase the voltage and run the test again." Stroke the cat.

ROFL :thumbsup:

How did you guess? how did those pictures make it on line.........

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't even consider the problem with the back plate a real problem. Anybody who doesn't have the skills to cut some of the back plate away for clearance, is a pretty sad excuse for a PC builder or modder. This is very simple, basic stuff and in my opinion goes with the territory. A Dremel, hacksaw blade or maybe some decent tin snips should solve this minor problem. They are making components to be used on a very wide variety of systems so there is bound to be issues like this. The back plate isn't even going to show after the mobo is installed, so you could do some sloppy looking hack job on it and it wouldn't even show once the system is put back together. Although I would still feel compelled to make it look nice and neat.

Its not the back plate but the retention plate that mounts to the support studs.

While I agree it is simple to mod and make it work it should work without a mod to "make it work". Can I make it work, Sure I can! Should the consumer who spends $60 on a "Universal" solution have to mod it to make it work? No they should not. Not everyone has the capacity to mod things. System builders do but the guy or girl taking those first steps into a system build buying the cooler based on the familiarity of the Sapphire brand will most likely not have that skill set and will promptly return it for another model that will work costing Sapphire market share and reputation.

Once installed it does quite well as seen by the results.