What bonus material influences a game purchase?

neddamttocs

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's a game that's bundled with an earlier game in the series (e.g. Bioshock Infinity + Bioshock 1), I think that's cool because I can follow the series better.

Plus I get a free game. biggrin.gif

That's not a bonus material, you are asking for something like buy 1 get 1 offer. :P

I dont buy games based on bonus materials because 3 months later you can get it as DLC and the game is $20 cheaper. just wait a little and save money. Now if they gave something you couldn't dlc later on than i might jump on it especially if others can see it in game.

Here is what I would consider bonus material:

• Game Manual - A rulebook and interface explanation to help you get started.

*snip*

The soundtracks do not affect the interest in the game, just the decision to purchase at any given price or time. So the question perhaps should be, 'will you forgive a good sale price for not being great if the game comes with bonus material?' It was not the intention of this question to bring up the quality of a game or franchise. We can assume the quality is great enough to have earned your interest if not your purchase, as of yet.

since when did game manuals become a "bonus"? :dunno:

IMO game manuals should still be mandatory even if only available online in PDF form.

I very rarely buy games because of the bonus content. It almost always comes down to the game quality itself. Although on the basis of your altered question i'd say that the promise of future content (dlc) included for no additional charge or no additional season pass. but that almost never happens these days, its almost exclusively locked to pre-purchasers thesedays.

Also as someone else mentioned earlier bundle another game (usually the previous entries in the franchise) with it. I bought the Augmented Edition of Deus Ex HR so i could play the original Deus Ex. Also see The Orange Box.

maps, and other useless junk like statues generally dont do it for me.

Also we should bring back the days of being able to take the audio tracks out of the game files instead of getting a seperate soundtrack.
:withstupid: Or at the very least allow us to purchase the soundtrack separately from the main game. There has been a couple of times i've played a game to the end and enjoyed some of the music but the only way to acquire the soundtrack is to either re-purchase the "deluxe edition" (or equivalent) of the game or acquire it via other means i.e. youtube. Examples of guilty parties: Assassins Creed franchise, Mass Effect franchise, pretty much any AAA franchise

Or at the very least allow us to purchase the soundtrack separately from the main game. There has been a couple of times i've played a game to the end and enjoyed some of the music but the only way to acquire the soundtrack is to either re-purchase the "deluxe edition" (or equivalent) of the game or acquire it via other means i.e. youtube. Examples of guilty parties: Assassins Creed franchise, Mass Effect franchise, pretty much any AAA franchise

I found myself torenting the soundtracks to Fallout games because Mark Morganns songs make great ambient music to play through the house even if they're a not haunting or industrial at times.

The songs originally got partially released in a compilation but didn't include all the ambient tracks from fallout 1, 2 and NV

What appeals to me :

DLC or bonus content that I'll actually use in singleplayer (don't play much multiplayer).

Any physical item or gift (like Connor's medallion that I got in my Assassins Creed 3 Join or Die Edition).

A big box or special box (metal or cool cardboard graphics).

Says "Limited Edition" or anything special :P

Overall, it must be worth the price.

I don't care about any bonus or DLC material, it's just a money making racket. I turn off the games music unless it's a game like GTA where I can listen to my own stuff. I also avoid multiplayer games like the plague. A good game with a good single player campaign is a must for me.

Fragsman agreed!