FreeNAS Build

WhenKittensATK

The time has come to convert my HTPC/Storage machine into two separate machines. I recently picked up 3x 3TB and its just what the doctor ordered. Been looking around and it seems ZFS doesn't require much CPU power, just RAM. NAS will be running 2x 1.5 TB and 3x 3 TB. USB for for OS.

Just remembered I have an unused Chieftec Dragon case. I could just use that to transfer the NAS to then buy a new PSU for HTPC. Updated.

Route #4: Build NAS + reuse HTPC's PSU and a different case. Buy new PSU for HTPC.

CPU: AMD A4-3300 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($41.24 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock A55M-HVS Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($47.97 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $119.20 (added these to Christmas list :D)

Plus a ~$25 PSU or something for HTPC.

Route #1: Build a new HTPC and leave the current rig for NAS

I found someone selling a server mini-ITX build at a reasonable price. I asked him if he would sell it without the motherboard and SSD. I already have a SSD and I would like to replace the motherboard with a mini-ITX that supported optical ($80). That's if he sells his build cheap enough.

Specs:

Pentium G860 (dual core sandy bridge)

8 GB RAM

Habey EMC-600SL Aluminum Chassis with 120W External PSU

I'll just swap the 8 GB RAM into the NAS and take its 4 GB for HTPC. Then throw my SSD and new mini-ITX board into that chassis and call it a day.

Route #2: Build a NAS and transfer HTPC to a smaller case

CPU: AMD A4-3300 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($41.24 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock A55M-HVS Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($47.97 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $119.20

Throw all of these into the current case and re-use the PSU for it. Then find a new smaller mini-ATX case + PSU for HTPC parts.

Route #3: Buy an old AM2+/3+ or C2D build

However I seen most of them seem to run for like $200. Doesn't seem worth it when I can build a brand new rig for less or roughly the same.

I estimating the total cost for both routes is roughly $180-200 either way. Assuming how cheap he sells the mini-ITX build. Assuming I can find a mini-ATX case + PSU for under $60 (PSU only needs to run 1 SSD).

Does anyone have suggestions on a compact mini-ATX case with its own PSU?

Does anyone see any incompatibility issues with the rig in my signature or rig in Route #2 for FreeNAS ZFS (other than RAM)?

Edited by AZNguyen

I like route 2 personally. I've never had a FreeNAS build but supposedly they recommend at least 6GB of RAM and then 1GB for every 1TB after 6TB. Seemed easy to remember since it seemed like 1-to-1 correlation - 8TB, 8GB. So if you were to follow that suggestion, you would be looking at 12GB of RAM or more.

Check out some of the HTPC builds in this section, a few people have thrown out some interesting case ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you guys think ECC memory is overkill for a home media server? The traditional Server CPU + Server Board is just too expensive. I noticed you can do it with AMD Athlon II + Consumer Board for about half 1/3-1/2 of the cost.

~$65 - AMD Athlon II X2 or X3 CPU

$90 ($10 MIR) - ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 (Cheapest AMD board that has ECC, that I found)

$56 - Kingston 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ECC Unbuffered

Total: $211

Pros:

1) Similar CPU performance to Celeron G530

2) ECC memory for memory errors

3) 32 GB RAM capacity

Cons:

1) No on-board video, but I do have a spare PCI video card

2) Costs upfront and adding ram in the future vs non-ECC

Athlon II build seemed too inefficient to run 24/7 when there are stuff like Pentiums and APUs. Shame none of them have ECC support.

Might try running Ubuntu Server with ZFS (Release Candidate). Seems to be the easiest way to get Plex Media Server running over FreeBSD.

I ended up buying everything today. Used parts  :yucky:

$45 - Intel Pentium G630

$60 - G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333

$54 - Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (Enough expansion slots for Intel NIC and SATA controller cards :wub: )

Total: $159

I may swap out my HTPC parts for a mini-ITX build. Probably won't be anytime soon.

Edited by AZNguyen

• 10 months later...

This build has changed quite a bit since the last post.

Case: Chieftec Dragon -> Cougar Challenger -> Rosewill RSV-L4500

Storage: 2x 1.5 TB + 3x 3 TB -> Mirror: 2x 1.5 TB + RAIDZ: 3x 3 TB / 3x 3 TB

Just transferred over the hardware into the new case. http://imgur.com/a/OEqOY. I actually used up all my cables on the PSU haha. I'll probably upgrade the PSU to something that has more cables whenever I do the next storage upgrade sometime in the future. This case will last me one more storage upgrade, but by that time I'll probably invest into one of those fancy 24 hot swap cases.

Things I learned:

1) zfsonlinux seems pretty stable

2) Cougar Challenger is a great case despite its looks

3) Molex to 4x SATA Power adapters exist!

4) Buy a PSU with more cables 

Using Samba for file transfers to Window machines.

RAIDZ zpool: Reads from server 75 MB/s. Writes to the server 40-50 MB/s. (random file transfers)

Mirror zpool: Reads from server 40 MB/s. Writes to server 90-100 MB/s. (random file transfers)

Also dependent on my 500 GB hdd on my gaming rig.

Edited by AZNguyen