Soundbar or 2.1 System

IVIYTH0S

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the sources?

Cable/Satelite + Bluray and things?

Just use the devices audio outputs and not the TVs, sure that means that if you use multiple sources that it might be a pain or necessitate a switch of some sort but its better than limiting yourself by what the TV can output.

What are the sources?

Just use the devices audio outputs and not the TVs, sure that means that if you use multiple sources that it might be a pain or necessitate a switch of some sort but its better than limiting yourself by what the TV can output.

I guess that could be an option if he is using cable and/or dvd-bluray etc. Won't do him much good if he is doing OTA though...................

What are the sources?

Well it's generally most useful for when we hook up her laptop to the TV directly via HDMI (with the sound transferred over HDMI)...I guess I could just hook the computer up to the 3.5mm out to avoid the need for a D-SPIF->RCA->3.5mm conversion. I wanted an all purpose solution (where no matter what the TV was doing, It would have great sound) but truthfully it's main use is her daughter watching cable broadcast cartoons and stuff so that wouldn't *need* superb sound.

I'll have to see what outputs her parent's TV has, maybe I'll just get two $50 or less 2.1 systems. Her room is really small (maybe 18ftx10ft making a very rough estimate off the top of my head) and as long as their loud and don't sound raspy, I'll be happy. Her living room TV is just too quiet, better bass and all will just be bonuses.

For my TV I looked at 400-500$ sound bars, but really a 200-300$ 2.1 system is far better. Soundbars lack mid-range audio and are normally cheaply made. Go with a nice 2.1.

:withstupid:

Regardless of the price of soundbar, it lacks good sound quality in low, mid, high range simultaneously.

So, unless you need ultra portability, you should opt for a good 2.1 system. Choice will totally depend on your budget.

What do you guys think of two of these??

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-A220-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B003FWHTTA

I've always been very happy with Creative stuff, and definitely has the value portion covered. Seem very well liked too, again this isn't super duper hometheater we're needing. Otherwise I'd consider the Logitech z623s

Think it would be hard to beat that price, but but how are you going to handle the digital coax to analog 3.5mm jack conversion?

I would only have to really worry about that with the living room set (as I would want them to be able to control it) but in her room.

I'm thinking active converter -> red/white -> 3.5mm. Unless I can find a direct converter that does digital coax to 3.5mm directly...

What do you guys think of two of these??

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-A220-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B003FWHTTA

I've always been very happy with Creative stuff, and definitely has the value portion covered. Seem very well liked too, again this isn't super duper hometheater we're needing. Otherwise I'd consider the Logitech z623s

See the specification:

Speaker Power: 2 Watts RMS per channel (2 channels) 5 Watts RMS subwoofer

It is too low even for a basic PC speaker, let alone a home theater system.