Soundbar or 2.1 System

IVIYTH0S

So my girlfriend has this tv here: http://www.cobyusa.com/?p=prod&prod_num_id=10505&pcat_id=1001

Like most flat screens (especially budget models) it's audio output levels are pretty sad. In fact this might have the worst speakers I've ever heard on a TV, my laptop puts it to shame.

Now I was planning to get her some kind of permanent solution for this for Christmas but I cannot decide which road to take.

1)Soundbar: Sleek, simple, and made for this very purpose.

2)2.1 Speaker set: More affordable, adaptable for other uses if need be, much better sound quality/$

Basically that's what I've gathered from what little I've looked into it, I'm basically looking for either specific product recommendations or general advice on what I should get??

Budget is $100 or less, doesn't have to be mind blowing quality and if I could get something under $50, I'd get two and buy one for her family since watching movies at her house on their flatscreen is pretty lousy too (but still much better than her TV)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.1 set and diy some stands to sit the speakers at the right height either side of the TV to get some good imaging. You could even just go stereo unless she really needs the extra low end.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be intense at all.

Budget 2.1 speaker sets will be much better than soundbars for your budget.

You should have gotten these when you could have: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=194478

Yeah those are what set the bar for the price range....shoulda just went for them but I wasn't sure how her TV would connect to them (I have to stealthly check it one of these days) but I guess I could have returned them.

Thought maybe these too: http://www.compuvest.com/Desc.jsp?iid=1776676

Bass is King.. Strips cant thump like a sub. just bought a $25 2.1 for my bedroom TV and it was a HUGE upgrade over the TV speakers

Yeah that's what'd push me to the 2.1 too, I know the soundbars aren't really thumpers even though I'm not looking for my arm hairs to dance bass, I do want the best experience for my dollar.

The soundbar "convenience" doesn't really win over getting just a simple speaker set, and the soundbar is 95% out of the question by now lol

Based on the specs of that "TV" you'll need to connect speakers via a digital coaxial cable. I use the phrase TV lightly because I'm not a fan of Coby's gear, but hey, for a $200 TV, why not.

A decent Logitech or Cyber Acoustics (or even Creative) 2.1 setup would work nicely imo. How big of a room is it all in?

Not all soundbars are bass-less wonders. I use a Vizio Soundbar with Wireless sub as my computer speakers and am happy with them. Best of both worlds, really. Large dedicated sub below desk, 32" 4 speaker soundbar above monitor. They run just over your $100 budget but sound way better then my ~$70 Logitech 2.1 speaker system did - while most importantly for me not taking up any desk space...which is at a premium with my 27" S-IPS.

For a generic set used for basic TV watching a cheap 2.1 speaker set will probably suffice while being easier on the wallet and still a huge upgrade over the built in ones...

FWIW Stock TV speakers suck not only to save the manufacturers money but because they are all fighting to be the thinnest panels and to use the least electricity for Energy Star ratings so the speakers are the first place they cut corners on.

Based on the specs of that "TV" you'll need to connect speakers via a digital coaxial cable.

This is a key point here because you'll need a set of 2.1s that have a digital coax input unless you plan on purchasing a digital to analog converter too.

I remember seeing designs for good bass in soundbars by placeing using two small sub speakers away from each other keeping a circular bar shape and allowed alot of their vibration to cancel each other out and let you drive them harder. Haven't seen it in use though, must be patented by an asshole or didn't work out in practice.

Based on the specs of that "TV" you'll need to connect speakers via a digital coaxial cable. I use the phrase TV lightly because I'm not a fan of Coby's gear, but hey, for a $200 TV, why not.

A decent Logitech or Cyber Acoustics (or even Creative) 2.1 setup would work nicely imo. How big of a room is it all in?

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan overall but the price was right (I think it was on sale, $150 before the extra warranty she got). Thinking we should have maybe taken the sales rep's advice and either gotten the Samsung LCD below the Coby or the Samsung LED above.

Not all soundbars are bass-less wonders. I use a Vizio Soundbar with Wireless sub as my computer speakers and am happy with them. Best of both worlds, really. Large dedicated sub below desk, 32" 4 speaker soundbar above monitor. They run just over your $100 budget but sound way better then my ~$70 Logitech 2.1 speaker system did - while most importantly for me not taking up any desk space...which is at a premium with my 27" S-IPS.

For a generic set used for basic TV watching a cheap 2.1 speaker set will probably suffice while being easier on the wallet and still a huge upgrade over the built in ones...

FWIW Stock TV speakers suck not only to save the manufacturers money but because they are all fighting to be the thinnest panels and to use the least electricity for Energy Star ratings so the speakers are the first place they cut corners on.

I'll see what I can dig up

This is a key point here because you'll need a set of 2.1s that have a digital coax input unless you plan on purchasing a digital to analog converter too.

Yeah, I had figured that when I was reading :(

I guess something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2 then maybe a splitter down to 3.5mm??