Intel's Haswell May Be Last Interchangeable Desktop CPU?

dr_bowtie

This isn't stellar news but honestly I won't be really affected by it. I usually switch platforms completely and not CPUs within that platform (for when the higher end chip comes down in price I'd ever want, like a 980x for example in my X58 case, there will be a newer generation chip equal or more likely much faster, more efficient, and cheaper.)

I only swapped from an E6600 to a Q9450 on one board... then I realized that nvidia chipsets are the spawn of satan and got a P45 but other than that, all my computers have had the same CPU in the board their whole life span with me.

Whether they do or don't go through with this, I'll just roll with it. Like alot of you said, either AMD will capitalize (and Intel will revert back eventually), or it will be successful and we'll realize we don't need interchangeable CPUs.

I second the love for my APU HTPC!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enthusiasts may not buy much in terms of percentages but we drive everyone else to buy new stuff. :)

We also buy the expensive stuff too. Except for Apple fanboys and non-enthusiasts that don't understand you don't need 12, 4.4 GHz threads to write an email, really we're the only people that buy the expensive stuff. (I'm including professionals with enthusiasts.) It may not be the largest section of the market, but I suspect there is a positive marketing effect for non-enthusiasts to see there are more expensive components out there than what they are buying. Almost like they are getting a deal by just purchasing what they need. That may sound twisted but when all of your choices are still an upgrade from what you have, might as well buy something on the cheaper end. (Actually used that logic when deciding between a GTX 570 and 580; either was an upgrade, so save the money and OC the thing when it starts feeling slow.)

We also buy the expensive stuff too. Except for Apple fanboys and non-enthusiasts that don't understand you don't need 12, 4.4 GHz threads to write an email, really we're the only people that buy the expensive stuff. (I'm including professionals with enthusiasts.) It may not be the largest section of the market, but I suspect there is a positive marketing effect for non-enthusiasts to see there are more expensive components out there than what they are buying. Almost like they are getting a deal by just purchasing what they need. That may sound twisted but when all of your choices are still an upgrade from what you have, might as well buy something on the cheaper end. (Actually used that logic when deciding between a GTX 570 and 580; either was an upgrade, so save the money and OC the thing when it starts feeling slow.)

You mean Apple fanboys that'd buy that extra 5770 for $250 more dollars, that's what "moves the industry" :lol:

You mean Apple fanboys that'd buy that extra 5770 for $250 more dollars, that's what "moves the industry" :lol:

I mean any fanbot that buys the latest thing from Apple only because it is the latest thing and not because there is actually any worthwhile change to it.

Yes, I know I misspelled 'fanboy' but really, fanbot seems just as accurate. Seriously, Apple could offer a service where they will automatically charge you for something and ship it before it is even announced so when it is, you will find a package on your doorstep, and people would sign up for it! It could be a new $1500 Macbook that is just charged and shipped to you, without explicit consent, and there are people who would do it.

"Oh hey, Joe. Did you hear about the new iPhone 7S was announced yesterday? Gonna get you one of those?"

"Already did." Whips it out.

"Woah! How'd you get it already?"

"I'm signed up for the Apple Auto-Announcement day program." (Is it a coincidence that it's AA in this story?)

"Cool. Do they charge extra for that?"

"Nope, just the $1,000 for the phone and shipping."

"Isn't it a $700 phone? That's $300 for shipping!"

"And sales tax."

:blink: "That's still a lot for shipping."

"Yeah, but it's hard to ship it on the announcement day."

"Not really."

"Oh. And how would you know? Do you work for a shipping company?"

"Uh, yeah, Joe. We both do." Points to the UPS logo on their shirts.

"It's times like this that I hate working here."

"It's times like this that I hate you working here too."

"Why do we even talk to each other?"

"Because we're so boring no one else will talk to us."

"I'm not boring! I've got the iPhone 7S."

"I don't think it's what's in your pocket that makes you interesting."

"Oh yeah, then what does?"

"Intellect, interests, passions-"

"Those last two are the same thing."

"No they aren't. I'm interested in doing my job but I'm not passionate about it."

"Then why do you work here?"

"Because I am passionate about arguing and mocking your fanboyism." :TrollFace:

:RageFace:

Here you go, so you can just quote and hit Add Reply without typing anything:

:pfp: