OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w died

For what it's worth to anyone looking to buy one of these ...

Mine just burned out yesterday ( 4 months past 3yr warranty )

Power to CPU crapped out

This PSU was never overworked as I'm still running an XP3200 and a GeForce 6200

No gaming or over-clocking ... just regular old surfing and such

I've replaced it with a Seasonic - no more OCZ PSUs for this guy

Some parts just die from old age...don't discount OCZ PSUs entirely just because of one failure. I've had two Seasonic PSUs fail and I certainly won't say they're junk!

I'm not telling others not to buy an OCZ PSU - just adding my 2 cents for anyone who's counting

When I bought it, all I could find on it were great reviews concerning stability and so on

In 15 years, this is the first non-entry level PSU I've ever replaced due to failure, so I'm disappointed it lasted less than 4 yrs

Thought I'd give Seasonic the chance to show me how good they are

If it makes it past the 5 yr warranty, I'll be happy enough as I don't expect the rest of this build to go that long :)

bad luck? If you look at reviews you will see OCZ is many psu under preform. This is why I also choose to go with Seasonic even if it costs a bit more. Just like any electronics , they can break at any time so don't count OCZ out simply because your PSU died. I would if it destroyed my computer, this doesn't seem to be your case.

Edited by hornybluecow

Yah well my mileage compares with the OP. I bought 3 OCZ PSUs at pretty much the same time. All 3 went bad and 2 of the 3 fried out two whole computers. So I am avoiding OCZ from here on out - 3 strikes and they're out!

In fact, my initial response was going to be I was surprised his lasted this long.

I'm not telling others not to buy an OCZ PSU - just adding my 2 cents for anyone who's counting

When I bought it, all I could find on it were great reviews concerning stability and so on

In 15 years, this is the first non-entry level PSU I've ever replaced due to failure, so I'm disappointed it lasted less than 4 yrs

Thought I'd give Seasonic the chance to show me how good they are

If it makes it past the 5 yr warranty, I'll be happy enough as I don't expect the rest of this build to go that long :)

i'd like to pop that thing open and see if there's an obvious issue like a burned out power diode, cap, or resistor that could be easily cut out and replaced...did ya smell any electrical odoriferous emanations prior to the failure ?

i'd like to pop that thing open and see if there's an obvious issue like a burned out power diode, cap, or resistor that could be easily cut out and replaced...did ya smell any electrical odoriferous emanations prior to the failure ?

I had a couple web pages open and was doing something else so it went into monitor standby ( only standby I use )

I came back to a flashing monitor power button, an unresponsive mouse/keyboard, and a CPU temp of 25C

No smoke, no noise, no smell ... just dead

Re-power and no beeps

Test power outputs from PSU and no grey wire voltage - although the new PSU also has no output from the grey wire

Regardless, an old PSU and the new one fire the system up

I haven't opened the OCZ unit yet

Anything in particular I should look for, besides oozing and blackened parts ?

Edited by Gregzz4

Sorry to hear about that, guess they made the perfect warranty period though :O

I'd of gone with a 750W Silencer because they have to be the best deal in that wattage range everytime I check.

7 year warranty and 80+ Silver for a great price :biggrin: . If my Silencer 1 ever dies out of warranty, you know I'll be getting a MkII!